He's been sick for nearly 3 weeks.. what to do?

chantald

Songster
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Mid/UpState NY's Hudson Valley
I have a young EE rooster who has had a runny nose and sneezing for about 3 weeks now. He is quite congested and it crusts up. No smell to it at all, and it's clear. He is breathing fine. But he also sneezes all the time.

It's def more than "just sneezing", I'm certain he has some illness.. but it doesn't seem to do much else to him. He eats, he drinks, he sleeps..

He's been in quarentine for nearly 3 weeks now.. there has been no realy change in his symptoms.. Not for the worse or better.

What do I do? I don't want him to infect my other birds..but he can't stay in the guinea pig cage forever..

you might try polyvisol enfamil > three drops a day for a week then taper off the next (polyvisol enfamil is a childrens liquid A-B-D vitamin) ... vit A deficiency will present with similar symptoms to respiratory disease (cant hurt might help)
keep temp warm and stable and provide good ventilation and make sure it is not dry (hang a wet towel near him to up the humidity if necessary.)
What kind of bedding? What are you feeding?

He is getting vitamins and electolytes.. I got the packet at the feed store. he is eating chick starter non medicated now but it was medicated until yesterday..
He is in large pine shavings, not dusty ones.

His bowl movements are well formed and good color. He is indoors and in a draft free location.

three weeks on electrolytes is too long (should only be on them if in shock or when you suspect he is drinking insufficiently > suspected dehydration)
do you have this "guinea pig cage" in the house? What is the weather like (if you have outside)
birds with suspected respiratory illness should be in a warm (70- 75 F ) draft free environment with around a min of 70 percent humidity (this helps their immune system function)... is their any other suspected symptoms (does he sound congested)
Is he eating well?

Back
Top Bottom