He's breeding them .. *grin*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texasgal, Jul 12, 2010.

1. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Well, the girls are 22 weeks old.

Shiner is such a gentleman. He has courted and flirted for weeks now.

Yesterday was the first day I saw him approach and court ... and the pullet squatted right down for him .. and he bred her!

Ima gunna have eggs soon .. they are FINALLY growing up!

Oh, also .. one hen has taken a huge appreciation for the tiny little corner between the water heater and the wall in our garage .. we run her out .. she runs right back.

I've finished fixing their nests boxes in the run .. and they are locked up today ..

Can't wait for my (blue, please be blue) eggs!

2. lizzy06019

lizzy06019 Songster

Oct 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] "Big Papa" started breeding with his girls this week too!!!! He's 19.5 weeks old. I've heard how rough some roosters can be with their girls, chasing them around and then tearing up with backs. I'm so happy Big Papa is so gentle with them. They squat down for him and he does his thing and then they both shake it out afterwards. I'm hoping the girls start doing their thing and lay us some eggs soon!!!! In the meantime, I'll be [​IMG] and [​IMG]

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Shiner is 10 months old .. he had two hens before that were lost in a dog attack.

I've been very proud of him not pressuring or forcing these girls .. he's such a gentleman.

I killed a Jr. roo on the spot one day for grabbing up one of these girls and about pulling the skin off her head .. Ugh .. can NOT tolerate an abusive roo ... (nor man, nor stallion .. lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: