1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

he's changing jobs.. kinda scary

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by shadowpaints, Jul 2, 2011.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    well for the last 3 years hubby has worked for a HUGE trucking company. this company told us that they were 'family' oriented. course we believed them. hubby is usually home every 12-20 weeks, over night. after the last 3 years of that, and 1/2 of our checks being LESS than 100 $ and them not thinking that he was serious last fall if they didnt start getting him home more, he is starting a new job in about a week.

he will start driving in North dakota hauling water to the oil fields. we live in idaho. im not sure how i feel about him pretty much living in a different state. BUT the good things are:
    it starts out at 30$ an hour, 16 hour days.
    and he works 3 weeks, then gets to come home for 2 weeks.... i havent had my hubby home for more than 4 days in over 4 years!

maybe now, things will a bit easier!
    he will definatly be home enough to start to get to know him all over again.

im really hoping this works out. after 3 years with this *other* company, we are further behind than we ever have been in bills... maybe now we can get caught up?

Crossing my fingers!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Change is always somewhat scarey. Sounds like a move for the better, and I'm thinking things are going to be fine.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Really hoping this new job is exactly what y'all need!!!

[​IMG]

4. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    It sounds like he made a very good decision. I can't imagine how hard the last few years were [​IMG] You might find that once everything falls into place, the blessings will just flow!

wishing you all the best!

5. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Change is hard but sounds like this will be a good change.
    My husband is a truck driver and last year he was only home for 30 day's the whold year. It was a rough year but he had to go where the work was. This year he has only been gone a few days here and there. I will say it was hard to readjust to having him home (sounds funny but it was) the kids and I had become independent from him. So having him home was not easy at first, took a little while to readjust.
    Hope everything works out for you guys [​IMG]

6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG] My hubby is a trucker too, and he starts a new job Monday night. He works local-but was seriously considering OTR. I would not have been able to survive that. He has been with this company for 8 months-signed on as part-time (but was told full-time was available to him). EVERY time he brought up going full-time, he was brushed off. He finally had enough and started looking. He will be working roughly midnight to noon on a dedicated run to MI. He will be making DOUBLE what we have been getting! [​IMG] I am so excited-I get to keep him at home AND work at getting out of debt! [​IMG]
    Best wishes on the new job! Could you move to where he is working, or will he be changing areas?

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    My husband worked trucking for six whole months and I HATED it. You have my sympathies. I also learned that the companies lied and pushed and and and and......

I really hope for your sake things get better with this new job! [​IMG] Good fortune to you both!!

8. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Change is scary, and we are often told in our culture that changing jobs is a bad thing/bad idea. That it is a sign of individual weakness, ingratitude, or impulsiveness. I've had five jobs over a few years, and it took that long to find a place and (really important for me) a boss I could stand and further more, actually respect and enjoy. I know have two managers I love to death (even though upper management continues to live on a planet far, far away), and a job that I feel satisfied in, along with a lax and friendly work environment and awesome coworkers. My husband went through seven jobs in that time frame and is still looking. We've only been happy with our decisions to change. Neither one of us will stay in a job that does not respect its employees, and we've never ended up on the street because of it. In fact, a few jobs we've had were pushing us towards the street because the pay was so bad, and because they didn't compensate all the time you spend towards the job. Imagine a couple working back to back 12 hour shifts two hours from home (site change with no warning and no say on our part), being forced to sleep out in their car, and making awful pay that doesn't cover the bills AND being treated like peons. Yep, been there. I've gotten more....open...with telling bosses exactly *why* I am handing in my two week's notice as well. The amount of fear most of my coworkers have about changing jobs and speaking one's mind is enormous...but not grounded. Best of luck to you both with the job change! [​IMG]

9. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    thanks all, im really nervous, and it will take a lot of adjusting to have him home for longer times [​IMG]i cant wait tho!

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Wishing your family well.My dh is an OTR driver as well.Gone most times. Income isn't that great either.Remember to pay yourself first(savings)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by