He's going to be Lonely Now what do I do?

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
I received some shipped eggs and we are on day 10, there were 9 eggs total, 1 was cracked all the way around before I could even start the incubating process, so that left me with 8, one was totally scrambled, some had air cells, two of them started but decided to quit. Needless to say on our 10th day, we are down to 1 swimming around... I think he maybe stuck on the side of the shell but can't be fore sure yet. But what do I do now? He will be all alone if he survives the 21 days, with no one to chit chat with or try to inspire to get out of the shell. I could get more eggs but he will be out before they are ready too. So what do I do if this little guy survives? I have my stuffed animals ready for him but I already feel so bad for him. I never had a loner before...

Well all I can think of is if (hopefully) it will hatch out alright, you could run down to the Local store that sells chicks and get the baby a friend?? Thats what I would do.

I received some shipped eggs and we are on day 10, there were 9 eggs total, 1 was cracked all the way around before I could even start the incubating process, so that left me with 8, one was totally scrambled, some had air cells, two of them started but decided to quit. Needless to say on our 10th day, we are down to 1 swimming around... I think he maybe stuck on the side of the shell but can't be fore sure yet. But what do I do now? He will be all alone if he survives the 21 days, with no one to chit chat with or try to inspire to get out of the shell. I could get more eggs but he will be out before they are ready too. So what do I do if this little guy survives? I have my stuffed animals ready for him but I already feel so bad for him. I never had a loner before...

HUmmm good thought, I will have to wait another 11 days, I was on the auction looking for day old chicks thinking, I'll have a couple of them shipped to me around the time this little guy is exspected to come out. But shipping chicks seems like a rough way to go, but I like you ideal better, now to find a store that will have chicks.... I will do whatever I need to make this Lonely guy not so Lonely..

I had to raise a chick alone who was nearly pecked to death by his hatchmate and StepMama. He did very well with lots of cuddling and petting and TLC. I raised him in a solarium where he learned to play Tarzan ate became quite a connoisseur of plants! He is now 26 weeks old and a strapping Rooster, accepted by those who rejected him earlier.

I did try at some points introducing other chicks to him, but they were too loud and vocal and annoyed him. He (and I) were relieved when I returned them to their outdoor home.

My little roo did not seem to mind being an only child in the least (until his rooster hormones hit). :>)

thumbsup.gif
Any kind of a farm store should have some like Rural king or farm and fleet or even some feed stores carry them.
HUmmm good thought, I will have to wait another 11 days, I was on the auction looking for day old chicks thinking, I'll have a couple of them shipped to me around the time this little guy is exspected to come out. But shipping chicks seems like a rough way to go, but I like you ideal better, now to find a store that will have chicks.... I will do whatever I need to make this Lonely guy not so Lonely..

We're in the same situation. Have only 1 egg left that's made it to Day 13 (out of 7 shipped eggs...only 3 were fertile!
rant.gif
1 quit on day 3 and this weekend just found out another quit on day 6). We're prepared to run down to the feed store if it actually hatches. If you don't have many feed stores in your area, you can also look on Craigslist in your area.

I checked out craigslist, not a whole lot on there. I'm trying to arrange having some showgirls, shipped to me the week he's suppose to hatch, This one is suppose to be a showgirl, Yeh, I know what your thinking, know wonder he's the only one, they are so ugly, the others probably scared to death and quite..... LOL.. They are ugly but also cute at the same time. HA HA HA.. He is due to hatch on 4/5 I candled him last night and could not see him at first and thought OH NO he died. But then he finally popped up and hit the top of the shell so he's still swimming in there, I'm a little worried about him being stuck at the bigger end of shell but at this point I'm not sure if that is an issue. He seems to like going in the middle of the egg making it difficult to see him. His veins and what not are at the bigger end of the shell where his air cell is, never seen a chick in this position before so he may have problems come hatching time. His air cell goes from half of the top part down towards the middle of the egg on one side instead of being in normal position at top... But right now he is still swimming around so I don't think I will worry about it until hatching time. LOL...

Too bad...you're like in Chicken Siberia! Hope the shipped chicks come at the right time.

You might want to use a dull pencil and mark where the air cell is on the egg. Just in case you need to help come hatch time, you know where to break through.

Chicken breeds are like anything else...no judgements. You love who you love. But Showgirls are unique looking.
I always wondered how they got that name. Poor roosters!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry yours didn't go better, I just feel like kicking my own butt cause I took the eggs she was sitting on EE's , all fertile and all growing and gave her these eggs. I just hate wasting money! LOL I could have at least had an Omelette had I just known and got something out of it, An EXPENSIVE omelet but at least it would have been something! LOL

We're in the same situation. Have only 1 egg left that's made it to Day 13 (out of 7 shipped eggs...only 3 were fertile!
rant.gif
1 quit on day 3 and this weekend just found out another quit on day 6). We're prepared to run down to the feed store if it actually hatches. If you don't have many feed stores in your area, you can also look on Craigslist in your area.

Back
Top Bottom