He's Lonely?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by notsooldmcdonald, Jan 18, 2009.

1. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    So, I've had the rooster in for about a week due to frostbite. It's been SO cold here, and the girls had pecked at his comb/wattles pretty badly, that I just didn't want to risk him. Anyway, his battle scars have improved dramatically (most of the scabs have come off), and the frostbite is giving way to healthy skin. BUT, as my DH and I sit in the media room watching TV, it's now 9:03pm, we heard him crowing! (the temp is 60 in there, btw)

I went to check on him, pat him, tell him he's a good boy, but I think he's lonely (?). If it hits 20 degrees tomorrow, I'm thinking of letting him go out until dusk. Any good reason not to?

Thanks!
    -Christian

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Of course he's lonely, one day he had 20 hens of his own, sitting on top of the world, and the next day he has none! He's trying to scare up some more hens! Can you let them free-range together and crate him at night? 60* to 20* is a big change....Glad to hear he's doing well.

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Cover his comb and wattles with vasoline and return him to his Harem.[​IMG]

4. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    Quote:We've got too much snow to let them free range, but we've got a covered run and since the forecast is for 30 (YAHOO!), I'm going to lube him up and send him out for the day. It really was the range in temp that worried me the most.

Thanks for the thoughts!

-Christian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by