1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

He's looking at getting himself kicked out...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PetesMom, Apr 7, 2012.

1. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    of the duck coop! As most of you probably know, I have a pekin drake named pete, and 3 muscovies, 2 hens 1 drake.

Pete will NOT leave the poor hens alone! The black and white girl won't take his crap, but the poor white girl can't get away and he has her bald behind her neck :( What the heck should I do? We sat cinder blocks up in the outside part of the pen because she can get up there and he can't. Sometimes hes fine, other times hes relentless! I'm afraid he's going to do this with the other ducks we have/are getting....2 rouens, 1 male 1 female, 2 swedish, 1 male 1 female(i think, if i vented them right) and then the pekins we are getting in on wednesday....of course when they are all old enough to go down into the coop. He's looking to get himself evicted.
    *excuse the mud in the pen, I had just dumped the kiddie pool out lol and the coop is still being renovated...we just got a hole dug and liner set on the other side of the coop for their "pool" area*

This is where the poor girl spends most of her time and he just circles it waiting for her to come down
    [​IMG]

this is the back of her neck
    [​IMG]

Him with the black and white girl
    [​IMG]

but she doesn't put up with his crap
    [​IMG]

I have yet to see the male scovie on either one of the hens. I have even seen Pete try to mount the male scovie!

Should we evict him? I really don't know what else to do, I really can't afford to split the pen and seperate pete from the others

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

You're already have too many drakes per female. You should not add the additional drakes.

3. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe you can get another female? He seems to have a high drive and haveing another female or 2 can help.

4. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    Pete's become a little jerk! What I did when the two males I had would gang up on my girl was chase him off with a bamboo switch. You may need to teach him that that kind of behavior is mean and won't be tolerated.

5. PetesMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    So I should sell all the drakes instead of keeping them? How many drakes should we have if we can only keep about 8 ducks?

6. PetesMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    Is this a better plan, keeping 3 rouens (1 drake 2 female), 1 female swedish, and 4 pekins(1 drake, 3 female)? The scovies are getting rehomed and I believe Pete is too.

7. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought Pete was your baby? :( It seems sad to force him into a new home just because he's doing what drakes do. Can't you rehome the new Pekin drake, and keep Pete with the 3 Pekin hens?

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

2 drakes to 6 hens would be a lot better ratio. You may want to see how Pete works out in that sort of situation if he's your baby.

9. Rosepath Garden

Rosepath Garden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I had a similar problem drake. Even with a three to one ratio he had his bald favorite and one that would give him the time of day.[​IMG]
    We eventually sold him when him be came aggressive to us as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by