Hey all, any plans for saving money in the new year?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, Dec 27, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I just read an article that shows gas going to $5 a gallon. Uggg, I have no clue how we will ever afford that. Food is already going up and will continue to do so. Utilities are on the rise too. The only option is to look for ways to cut the budget back even further. This is what we have planned and there will be more to come.

Ok so of course birthdays and holidays are already at 50% of what they were. That might have to get a bit tighter in this economy.

Our house is for sale right now, and plans to build on our farm mortgage free.

The van is being sold and I am going to buy a little buick for a grand from my father. Its tight in the van with all of us but I don't see an option. Its just too expensive to drive. I am ready to get an Amish buggy at this point.

We are going to do without phone service completely. Not sure if I will bother with a trac phone or not.

My hubby works for our cable company but they do not offer service where our new house is but will pay for internet so we are going down to internet only.

The goal is to produce on the farm 50% of all our food, and we are switching to pure wood heat.

I would love to cut our medical but I don't see how to do that right now. Just doing basic appointments for everyone we spend a couple thousand on copays and our premiums went up again. I think there is no savings to be had in this area.

I buy almost all our clothes from consignment stores except special occassion or dress up clothing.

So what does everyone else have planned for the coming year?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Got message from hubby that his company is starting to lay off employees today and he does not know when he will be laid off.

Just got off from Medicaid and now I am not looking forward in getting BACK into it after since September we had that freedom. And got a new loan for a truck last month. Yuck! Yes our insurance is expecting to go up by the first of the year, unfortunately. If he gets laid off, we will not be able to afford COBRA and our daughter will have to make do without her dental care and go to a "fly by night" dental care. We can get better care from a clinic that the college has for the students to "practice" on us as guinea pigs with the very strict supervison from their instructors who are full fledged DDS.

However we do have some money saved for the truck payments.

Just hoped that his job will not be out for long....

I can not picture being at five dollars a gallon. Food prices keeps getting higher and we may not eat healthier either by buying cheap foods and have fresh fruits and veggies so sparelingly.

3. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    Well, it may not seem a lot to some people, as I know a lot of people are struggling worse than we are, but It helps us in the long run.

1) Find jobs! I was offered a job but it's an hour an a half away. So I'm going to try to find something closer, but if not, i'll work a later shift to get a shift differential to make up for the gas expense. Hubby...well....I just hope he can find something. We are both on unemployment currently.

2) Do some insurance investigating. I am on seperate for auto and house, and I think by calling around I can get a package deal to save us at least a few hundred a year.

3) When I get the job, put any money above and beyond minimum wage (what I currently "make" on unemployment) into savings or pay ahead on veichles. We are able to make it on minimum wage currently, so why inflate our lifestyle when I am making more than that? Sounds like a waste to me, act like I never had that money!

4) Grow our own from seed. We always bought plants from the nursery and easily spent 100-200 a year on plants. Now, this is still cheaper than buying produce from the grocery store (when you figure what I got out of the garden) but a lot of things I am able to start from seed easily at a FRACTION of the cost. So why not? Yeah its a bit extra of work and waiting, but i'm willing too if it pays in the long run.

5) Get heating assistance. It will help us now, while we are not employed and I can use the extra money to pay towards things like the cars. (Can anyone tell I want to get these cars paid off? Well at least mine. I am sooo close!)

6) Possibly buy a half a cow with a few family members. It will be a big cost upfront, but price wise it will be cheaper than the grocery store. Same with a pig. Will just see how the year goes!

7) Plan on making some expensive frozen entrees from scratch. Like pizzas. Who gets away with those prices? I can make a better quality product for cheaper!

8) Utilizing our garden better, and our harvest better. Mama got a dehydrator for xmas and has a food saver and now does canning so I think this will be an easy goal for the new year [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I have to cut down on four-legged and furry mouths to feed. I've cut out about everything else I can. I can't cut out Internet because I take Internet classes with this degree and I also have to work with two home-bound students who use Internet. I don't have cable or dish or anything like that, just a converter box. I'm selling anything and everything I can whether in yard sales or parking on the side of the road to do it.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yes. Come hell or highwater we are going to start a Christmas account at our bank and make a committment to a certain amount of money every check. That is 6 checks a month - pray we can manage it!!!!!

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Debra: For years we have paid for Christmas by using change and one dollar bills.

ALL change goes into the pot. Any part of the dollar.

All one dollar bills get saved. Against the rules to spend a dollar bill.

May sound silly, but you would be surprised how much you actually save in the end.
    Both in what you don't buy and then what is saved.

7. debilorrah

Quote:I can see us doing that if we did not have two young adults in the house that always need something. They are both in school full time, so we can't really tell them "No you can't have body wash"! LOL!

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Things are tough here too, we are even struggling to keep our business of over 30 years open. My wife was disabled a couple of years ago and can no longer work, and she hasn't been able to get any help on it. We have no insurance on anything we own except liability on our vehicles, but both vehicles and our home is paid for. We have always lived frugal but this next year I'll have to push it a bit more to keep my family feed. I'm not complaining though, I was raised poor, so not a great change for me. I tell everyone I started out with nothing and after all these years I still have most of it left. [​IMG]

We are planting our full garden for the first time in years. We have only been using around a third of it. This year it will be full and I am also planting a few acres I'm leasing from my neighbor in grain for the critters.

Buying a new freezer so we can stock up on frozen type stuff we find on sale and for meat we raise that doesn't get smoked.

Cutting all my own firewood for next winter instead of buying it.

Raising a couple of hogs again for the first time in around five years.

Expanding the rabbit hutches so we can at least double the amount of friers we raise.

Finishing the smoke house/butcher shed so I don't have to pay for processing on the larger animals.

Expanding our laying hen flock to meet demand on fresh eggs.

There are lots of other things we are going to try, just can't think of them right now. [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I can see us doing that if we did not have two young adults in the house that always need something. They are both in school full time, so we can't really tell them "No you can't have body wash"! LOL!

"Body wash" is considered an essential? Give me a bar of soap and I'm a happy, good smelling and clean camper. Shoot, you can even get a bottle of lotion too, and STILL come in for less than a bottle of body wash.

10. debilorrah

"Body wash" is considered an essential? Give me a bar of soap and I'm a happy, good smelling and clean camper. Shoot, you can even get a bottle of lotion too, and STILL come in for less than a bottle of body wash.

Honey we live in the desert. Soap = REALLY dry skin which requires lotion. Body wash with them moisturizer things means we don't have to buy lotion.

But I like the dollar bill idea!!!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by