Hey all you chicken lovers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SandDsFarm, Feb 6, 2013.

1. SandDsFarm

SandDsFarm New Egg

Feb 6, 2013
    Hi Guys and Gals,
    My wife and I recently moved out onto 2 acres of beautiful flat land near Portland Or. and have been talking about getting some chickens. The property we moved onto already has a covered area, (10x20) that has been enclosed with chicken wire and used for homing pigeons. We are looking to make this into a nice coop for the 'girls'.
    I have been all over the web and found this to be one of the most friendly and informative sites out there. I am sure we will be here quite a bit asking all those noobie questions so please be gentle. Anyway, I wanted to introduce ourselves. We are Sharon and Dan and thanks for having us.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Sharon and Dave, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! BYC is a super place to learn and get advice if ever you need it. The Learning Center link below is a place to get started on the care and maintenance of poultry. One bit of advice...you mentioned the enclosed area being covered in chicken wire. Chicken wire is great for keeping chickens in but not very effective at keeping determined predators out. A raccoon will even reach through the holes in CW, hook a bird, and eat from the other side of the wire - pretty gruesome. In the BYC search bar, type in 'hardware cloth.' This is what you will want to protect your birds. Anyway, great you joined us and enjoy your chickens!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

1 person likes this.
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

4. SandDsFarm

SandDsFarm New Egg

Feb 6, 2013
    Thanks for the Welcome. We have a covered (with a roof) coop that was used by the previous owner to house pigeons. Here are some pictures of the coop. We will have to clean it out from all the pigeon poop (not to much) and was going to use a pressure washer with water and some sort of cleaner. Maybe a small amount of bleach in the water?????????????? I will be asking questions as we go as to what would be the best way to configure this space. I think we will be using some river sand in the bottom on the floor as I have read that it's the easiest and possibly the best stuff to use on a dirt floor.
    Thanks again for the great welcome.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    That is a great looking coop!!!!

6. SandDsFarm

SandDsFarm New Egg

Feb 6, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome 1muttsfan and redsoxs. It is a nice coop. One half of the building is the well for the property and the front half is the actual coop. As I said, I want to really clean it out properly and wonder what sort of cleaning agent I could put in the pressure washer fluid? I would be happy to post this question in another place if you could point me to the proper forum. I will also be asking how best to set up this space.
    Thanks again for making Sharon and I feel welcome.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  7. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome. I have read of people using a bleach/water solution to clean out coops. After it is all dry, personally anyways, I would spread some diatomaceous earth around in the area to keep mites/fleas that sort of thing down and under control just before you put your girls in their new home. Good luck

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Awesome coop!

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]