hey all, your pics are too big!!!

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by bantymum, Dec 20, 2007.

1. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello my dear friends over there in the yonder.

I am Missing out big time on your wonderful pictures.
    I am on dial up and i always have to bypass posts that say "pic heavy" as it takes so long to load SOME of them.
    Even on broadband some of them are too big.

If you can kindly size them to 640 x 480 message board size or smaller as per the faq's when you upload them I too can view them!!!
    But if you dont want me to see them, just keep posting big ones.
    I just want to see these beautiful pictures!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    guilty as charged. Sorry, I'll start to resize. [​IMG]

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I always resize... usually no more than 600 x 600. [​IMG] Is that too big?

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I'm with you on the pic heavy post. I usually just run away too scared to even try to see. [​IMG]

5. Royicus

Royicus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    And that is what happens when one uses dial-up. I'll get in a gunfight before I go back to that :mad:

But yes, I do agree that people should make pictures as small as possible, not so much a pixel limitation (as that concerns screen size), but a kilobyte limitation. I have to admit though, ever since I got rid of 56k, I haven't noticed any problems on this board [​IMG]

6. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    for some of us high speed is not an option. however we have dialup and only the great big ones give us a problem. all pics we have uploaded we did on dial up. So some dial up is better than others i suppose

7. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    As royicus said, it's the 'file size', not the picture pixel size. One doesn't necessarily need to make the picture 'smaller' ie, a 1024x768 does not need to be made into a 640x480 (which doesn't do very much to make the file size smaller, by the way), it only needs to be 'compressed'.

For example, a desktop picture I have is 1024x768. The file size of the picture is 223Kb. I can leave it as it is and only 'compress' the picture at 60% and the file size is now 39.6Kb. I even resized the picture to 1400x1050, compressed it and it's only 59Kb.

So, compression is the key *before* one uploads a picture to Photobucket (or wherever). Upload the 'compressed' picture and things will be all good for us dial-up users who have no choice to have anything else like dsl or satellite.

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I don't have a photobucket account, but keep in mind that a LOT of people use photobucket because of its simplicity. Many people just plug in the camera and upload pictures and don't know a thing about compression or anything.

So, for the non-tech individuals, does photobucket provide a compression on upload option? In most programs usually during resize a default compression (especially for JPGs) is applied. This is why we suggest resizing photos (that and screen resolution issues... at least 10% of our visitors use 800 x 600 screens).

So, best case scenarios:

1) Resize AND compress your images. Shoot for a maximum of 800 pixels in width.
    2) If you want to maintain resolution / size of the original image, upload a small thumbnail of your image and link to a larger version... just like this:

[​IMG]

9. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    OR CROPPING THE PIC can be a big help.
    I down load my pics into a file on the computer.
    Then open adobe Photo shop
    Click on FILE go down to OPEN
    Choose the FOLDER/AREA you put the pics select one to work on click OPEN
    Click on the square crop symbol go over to the pic and click&drag leaving a perforated/dotted square around the best part of the picture
    "THE PART YOU WANT TO KEEP"
    Then go up to IMAGE down to CROP and all the junk around the edge disapears.
    Then go to the top of the screen click on FILE and SAVE. "I SAVE MINE TO THE DESK TOP"
    then I either go to picturetrail or photo bucket and up load it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Forgot to mention, a free, fast, small, easy to use application that crops, resizes, compresses, etc. images that I've been using for about 10 years is here:

http://www.irfanview.com/

It can even back resize, sharpen, etc. hundreds of images at once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by