1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HopefulSteader, Mar 17, 2013.

1. HopefulSteader

HopefulSteader Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Heya! I've been reading BYC on and off and I'm super excited to be a part of the group now! :) We got 6 chicks 2 weeks ago and our girls (hopefully haha) are starting to get their feathers in! I know two of them are Speckled Sussex but I'm sure I'll be posting in the What Breed? forum soon to find out the others.

My hubs is building our coop and is nearly finished with it. I'm ready (as is he I'm sure) to get them out of the garage and into our back yard!

The chicks are doing great but I'm wondering if I'm not holding them often enough? Generally when I go out in the morning and evening to change their water is when I pick a few up and hold them, talk to them..they're still running away from me and are pretty angry sounding when I finally catch one. Is this normal behavior or should I be holding them more often to get them used to us? They're pretty chill when I hold them and pet them.

Looking forward to get to 'know' you all! :)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, HopefulSteader, [​IMG]! Happy to have you aboard! It's been my experience that unless you spend hour upon hour with baby chicks they seem to be pretty jumpy. They seem to get quite friendly as they grow older and you bribe them with treats like meal worms! Good luck to you and have fun!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. HopefulSteader

Mar 17, 2013
    Awesome, thanks! I just tried out meal worms with them last night and a few would actually let me feed them so I guess that's progress! :)

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]From Kansas! Glad you joined us! [​IMG] They will get more and more used to you as they grow up.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck with those chicks, and welcome to BYC.

8. HopefulSteader

Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks everyone! :)

9. HopefulSteader

Mar 17, 2013
    Here's a pic of our chicks (minus one) and the beginning of our coop! He has the roofing on today and is working on the door now. Love seeing it come together!

[​IMG]H[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by