Hey All

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mahan5175, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Mahan5175

Mahan5175 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Hi, I am new to being an owner of chicks and new to this website. I have 12 chickens that are 7 weeks old. 5 hens and 7 roosters, at least that is what I am told, and from research thats what it looks like. We have mix of 1 buff orp, 3 golden laced wyandotts and rest are barred rocks. We have them out in the coop now, and every night I usually have to run out and get them in the coop because they don't want to go in. Do they eventually just go in? or will they be like this for awhile?

Thanks and so excited to be on this journey!

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    The best thing to do is to leave them in the coop for at least a few days. This gives them time to get comfortable and to imprint it as a safe place to roost. 7 weeks is a bit young to be going in on their own at this point though. Make sure that they have a low roost that is wide enough and easy to get to. Good luck

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. You need to lock them in the coop for 2 or 3 days so they realize the coop is their home. After that when you let them back out in the run they should return to the coop at dusk. This usually works well. Let us know if it doesn't.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is exciting, isn't it? TaraBellsBirds has given you some good advice. Your chicks do need to imprint your coop as their home and a safe place to roost. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have and we will try to answer them. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck imprinting your coop as home for your flock.

5. Mahan5175

Jul 28, 2014
    I had them locked in the coop for 6 days before I let them out in their run, Most of them do run into the coop around dark, but there is usually 2 or 3 that I have to put in. One golden laced, who is the skittish ones of the bunch so far, really likes to make me work.

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Yeah, they'll get the hang of it eventually. We didn't lock ours in the coop, just put them there every night until they learned (so it's good to start young!). If you want to expand your flock, it also helps that any newcomers will learn the drill from existing chickens. :)

7. bantyhen

bantyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    North Carolina
    Don't you just love chickens?

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Mahan5175

Jul 28, 2014
    Thanks everyone!!! and thank you all for your advice and tips! I figured that they might just be a tad young and I would have to keep it up for awhile. and Yes I love chickens, and I am already looking to get more. I never knew how some could become pets (well, I am talking more about my buff orp than any of the other chicks.) But its still exciting to see them come running towards me when I get in their run area. Can't wait for more fun times with these crazy chickens!

10. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Orpingtons are a wonderful breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by