Hey, Bamachicken, have you ever had a silkie with 12 toes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by featherfooted, Dec 31, 2007.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I was cleaning out the brooder where your chicks are and while moving them to a holding box I noticed that one of the blue chicks has 6 toes on each foot. It's where the 5th toe is. Instead of one toe there, there is 2 small toes each having a nail. I'll try to get a picture when my DH comes home to hold it. I just had never heard of 6 toes.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's called polydactally. I've had silkies with 6 toes. One of them was a toe nub with a nail that was mising a joint so it was floppy.

3. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I take it that its a big fault. Do they pass it on the their chicks?

4. SugarLandChickenMan

SugarLandChickenMan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
  5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I would not breed it if it has six toes. That is a fault. Maybe you can sell it to someone who wants one for a pet. Thanks for letting me know. I haven't hatched one like that or with four toes but sometimes even the best will throw a fault. Do you remember if it had BS or SB oon it. That would alert me to the pen it came from.

6. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Julie, I sure don't remember what was on the egg. Also 2 of the blues look just alike. I can get a picture of it if that will help.

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    If they are dark, i probably know which group they came out of. If you are ever coming through Dothan to go the Beach let me know and you can stop back by my house on the way home and pick out a replacement. Just let me know a month or so ahead so I can have some ready.

8. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Here's a picture of the chick with 12 toes.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by