Hey BARNYARD!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wegotchickens, Apr 27, 2008.

1. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Got my eggs Friday. DH said, "You didn't want that box marked fragile did you?" Thought I was gonna have a heart attack.
    He's been razzing me about buying new thermometers. I decided I needed something better to cross-reference on the one I have. And the old one is a loser. That may be why I had so many chicks die in the shell last time.
    Hopefully I can trust this one. Both are Accu-Rite therms.

Got 7 lovely, well packed eggs. Sadly, one has cracks. It's not oozing, so I threw it in the bator to see what happens.

So? Do you have yours?
    Are they in the bator yet?

2. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    If you put some wax on the crack, it'll get through till the end with no prob. kstaven recommended it to me and it works perfectly.

Happy Hatching!!!

3. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    ooooh, What did you get in that package? Did you fire up the Brower?

I don't trust my themometer/ hygrometer combos either. I usually have 2 in there and they give me 2 diff readings, so I'm always wondering which is correct. I call my flukers a flunkers. LOL!!!!

Do what champion says and slab a little wax on the cracked egg.

So........Ding. Ding.........Round#2 begins!!!!!!

4. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    This box (lol) has Silver Spangled Hamburgs. Barnyard also ordered some, so we thought we'd compare notes. Especially since we each hatched exactly one last time we tried. I think her SSH is a little older than mine. But I thought it was funny that we both wanted a friend for a lone SSH.

The cracks are very hairline and there's a cluster of them. Sorta looks like they bumped each other.

5. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    OOOh la la! The pretty Silver Spangled Hamburg. Dh can't be mad b/c you know that was his favorite of your hatch. Good idea for you and Barnyard to compare notes. Did ya'll get your eggs from the same breeder?

6. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Smitty's Farm :

OOOh la la! The pretty Silver Spangled Hamburg. Dh can't be mad b/c you know that was his favorite of your hatch. Good idea for you and Barnyard to compare notes. Did ya'll get your eggs from the same breeder?

Yeah, he's not mad beacuse of these. Now when the other dozens of eggs show up... that's when he'll get aggravated!

Yes, we both got these from GracefulBantams. We kinda teased and razzed each other over it both times [​IMG] Grace was very patient with us [​IMG]

It was during the 2nd thread that we discovered we'd each ended up with a single SSH from the first round. I'm really curious to see what her little SSH looks like...​

7. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Yeah, he's not mad beacuse of these. Now when the other dozens of eggs show up... that's when he'll get aggravated!

Yes, we both got these from GracefulBantams. We kinda teased and razzed each other over it both times [​IMG] Grace was very patient with us [​IMG]

It was during the 2nd thread that we discovered we'd each ended up with a single SSH from the first round. I'm really curious to see what her little SSH looks like...

Cool! Is barnyard incubating some more also? Ya'll should both post pics of your lone SSH from the last hatch.

I'm having incubating withdrawls....imagine that!

DH will only pretend to be aggrivated when the rest of the eggs come in.

8. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I know what you mean about the withdrawals. Problem is, I really need to get rid of some roos before I hatch more [​IMG]
    Although DH was discussing the fact that we could eat the little boogers when they get a little bigger... I don't think he'll be happy to see the turkey eggs that my swap partner is sending me Monday! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Wonder what my neighbors would think if they saw little turkeys running around the yard? Not that I should count on them before they hatch...

Yeah, Barnyard and I each hatched a set last time round, and are each hatching a set this time. Graceful also had the millies that I tried to talk you inot. The set I'm getting are from peeps7. I didn't know that gracefulBantams had millies available also until I'd already overloaded the bator.

9. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Quote:Boy do I know that tune. I had ordered three batches within two weeks and my household wasn't very keen on the idea of hatching chickens. I do it anyways.

That's not bad, you should have seen what happened when I surprised everyone in November with a little box from Ideal! [​IMG]

Its an addiction but I can't help. I just love having chickens, ducks and geese.

10. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Boy do I know that tune. I had ordered three batches within two weeks and my household wasn't very keen on the idea of hatching chickens. I do it anyways.

That's not bad, you should have seen what happened when I surprised everyone in November with a little box from Ideal! [​IMG]

Its an addiction but I can't help. I just love having chickens, ducks and geese.

I broke it to DH last night about the potential turkey eggs. He took it well, just laughing.
    He doesn't realize that will be one of 4 boxes...

Glad to meet a fellow addict, championny! Sadly, I don't have enough room for all the birds I want [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by