Hey Brenda........spraddle leg ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JimnJanet, May 2, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Allthough i understand how it is you said to put the bandaid on the little one i was picturing spraddle leg different than this. This leg is abnormal from the knee down as you can see in the pic. The chicks leg is in a relaxed state in the pic and that is the position the leg stays in .Even when i straighten the leg out and let it go it springs right back into this position. Is this spraddle leg or something else ? I truely appreciate your help.

[​IMG]

Also, notice how the knee is twice it's normal size and well....looks like it's literaly beside itself. Allmost as if it is out of joint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Sorry I didn't answer sooner...
    He could have a slipped tendon...there's a groove where the tendon is supposed to be and sometimes it slips out...you have to get it back in...Have you felt anything different between the two legs?
    I'd still try the spraddle treatment too...

3. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Hi Brenda, yes there is a difference. The leg in question has a knee twice the size as the normal one. I will try and see if i can see and feel the tendon.
    On a good note, you should see this little bugger adapting to it's hanicap and jist a scootin all around inside the brooder. [​IMG] I will check the tendon like you suggest and see what i can feel. I spose what i'm gonna hafta do is give it a wee bit of a pull and pop to git it back in ? Sort o' like settin a broken bone ?

If this little bugger turns out to be a hen and she makes it thru all this, and i believe she will, she has no choice..we love her too much [​IMG] [​IMG]
    She is most definately gonna git named Brenda [​IMG]
    Any objections ? Or perhaps you have a good idea for a name ?
    thank you for your help, Jim

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I'm curious how this turned out...

Julie

5. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I will post updates Julie.
    I didn't give it it's "sweet new kick" lol yet but Janet and I are about to do that in few minutes. I was givin it a day er so to se if it would straighten out but nope.
    As for the bandaid fix, i decided not to and i'm gonna take it to an avian vet i know tomorrow(monday) and let him decide on what to with the leg itself.
    So far, it is eating and drinking and growing just fine. It is allready accustomed to gitin around on one leg. In fact, it even chases and picks on it's sibs jist like the rest of 'em [​IMG]
    I handle it often because if it survives it most definately won't have a normal life in the fly pen with it's sibs so i want to try and make and keep it as tame as possible so i can be able approach and "save" it if nessecary in the future.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

You"d be amazed at how they can adapt...there's been blind chickens, 5 legged chickens, chickens with 2 vents...
    Good luck at the vets and I have no objection with the little dumpling being named after me, if s/he grows up.

7. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Well I have had 2 chicks with the same issue which has caused me to be curious. They were from different hatches, and the eggs came from different ppl.

I'll be honest I didn't notice the issue right off until I noticed they were gimping along.....talk about bad chickie mom guilt !!! At that point I assumed the first time it was splay leg gone really wrong... that was a leghorn chick.

The second chick was a std. buff brahma. At that point I assumed it was a problem during incubation which caused a deformity in the leg....they were hatched at different times and figured I must be to blame some how. Again I did not notice until the bird was gimping along. [​IMG]

I put down both birds. I'd sure like to know, if faced with this issue again , how to fix it so I don't have to put another chick down. It's one thing to send the cockerels to freezer camp but another when I have to do a chick.... [​IMG]

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by