Hey Buster..puppy question!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by GwenFarms, Aug 1, 2008.

1. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Buster and anyone else with experience,

I took in a dog a while back that is a border collie, austrailian shephard cross. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that she seemed to be swelling up and at first I thought she must have something wrong, so i picked her up and was going to take her in the barn to look her over and worm her...she was full of milk! So I've been told the Dad has to be a blue heeler. I posted the puppies on craigslist before they were even born to give me plenty of time to find good homes. I have found 6 confirmed homes and only asked for $20 to cover puppy shots and anything left will go to spay the mom. I would give the pups away, but have been warned to ask for something when you list on classifieds to keep horders and dogfighter away. I listed them as blue heeler/border collie/ aust. shep. Everyone wants that heeler color. They were born last night and I got a good look at them this morning. 6 are white with black spots, 2 are white with red spots, 1 looks like a border collie, black with white collar and socks, 1 is an odd ball reddish brown with white border collie/ aust. shep. markings. Do you think the whites with spots will color out? They aren't bright white..is there a way to look at the skin and tell? I want to let these folks know something, but I hate to tell them they are blues and then have them never color out.

2. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    your inbox is full! [​IMG]

3. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Sorry I can't help but I'll give you a bump

4. GwenFarms

Feb 26, 2008
    Quote:Thanks for letting me know! I knew I hadn't gotten any messages in awhile. I made some room.

5. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    There is a post on here by someone who's red heeler had pups. She gives updates on their growth with pictures. Do a search and you can look and see how her pups, although they are pure bred, changed colors as they aged. It might help give you an idea. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Sorry I just got back into town and saw this post! Do you have any pics you can post showing their colors? I'm not positive, but odds are that if they are not purebred heelers, they will remain the same color, although they may become a bit darker over time. I always stress before they are born and watch to see if mine are white because if they are any other body color they are not pure. They can have spots, but the body color has to be white. Also, females can be bred and have puppies from multiple dogs at the same time. I don't know if any of this helps you, but I'd be really interested in seeing pics. Good luck with finding homes for them. I am glad to be puppy free for a while!

7. GwenFarms

Feb 26, 2008
    Quote:Thanks Buster. I'll post some pics tommorow afternoon. I sure hope they color out. I looked over your pics and showed them to ds and dh and they both say they look just like yours. These folks would really like colorful pups, but seeing as how they understand that they are basically mutts, as I made it clear in my ad, I hope their main interest is in have a nice, healthy pet.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Thanks Buster. I'll post some pics tommorow afternoon. I sure hope they color out. I looked over your pics and showed them to ds and dh and they both say they look just like yours. These folks would really like colorful pups, but seeing as how they understand that they are basically mutts, as I made it clear in my ad, I hope their main interest is in have a nice, healthy pet.

I used to have a dog whose mother was a red heeler and the father was a border collie/aussie shepherd cross. He was the best stock dog I ever had. Even though I got him for free, I would have paid a lot of money for another one. Trouble is that the day after he was run over, I contacted the people I got him from and they said they had just spayed the female. Wish I was closer to you. I would give one of those pups a try in a heart beat.

9. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Oooo, BC PUPPIES! (Yes thats right, we have a puppy freak on our hands folks!) 10 is a large litter. My BC/lab was in a litter of 8 and the mom looked awful. Yours sound so cute!
    I can't wait to see pics![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by