hey! DH gave me the go-ahead, is this a good incubator??? *QUICK!!!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sdshoars, Nov 4, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    is the hovabator 1602N any good? i would really like the 1588, but DH is trying to get all kinds of toys, and i cut a deal for an incubator, and i dont think i can talk him into $120 (on ebay)... but i can swing the price for the 1602N. is that a still air, even though it says thermal air, or is their some air movement? should i try to buy a pc fan, or are they expensive? anyways, any advice is much appreciated... i want to buy this thing now, and sneak some eggies in to it, and hope Dh doesnt kill me for hatching in the winter... i think just one hatch would satisfy me until spring, really![​IMG] anyways.... THANKS!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You can get the 1588 for 120.56 at Home and Barn Basics. They also give a discount if you belong to BYC.

3. encmanerabbitry

encmanerabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    Quote:I've got one of those, I use it only for hatching, not for the entire incubation, but I like it. It holds a steady temp.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I use the 1602 in my classroom and it's never failed us.

5. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
  6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I have a 1602n. It took a little practice to figure it out but I haven't had any real trouble with it. So long as you have a room in your house that keeps pretty stable temps it works fine. The small styrofoam bators don't do well with temp swings or near windows. 1602n is still air. You have to take the temp on the top of the eggs. Anywhere else in the incubator will be inaccurate.

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I have a 1602N and a Little Giant - both still airs and I like them both. The 1602N does hold a better stable temp than the LG but it's all in what you're used to.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I have 8 hovabators and little giants combined all with turners and fans.. I watch for them on craigs list and anywhere else I can find them.. be patient.. I have never paid more than $25.oo for a complete set-up..

If I had to choose between the fan and the turner, goodbye fan..

I think add-on fans are about $30.oo ??

e-bay is not the cheapest place to buy a bator.. you have to pay for shipping, too..

9. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    ok, so if i have to take the temperature at the top of the eggs, how do i do that with the egg turner (which i bought too). do i just set a thermometer on top of the eggs and let it roll around with them? argh! so confusing! and where can i put a hygrometer? help please!!! i am saddened by the fact that i will be out of town for thanksgiving and christmas, so that means i cant hatch until after then... saaad day. thanks guys.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The hygrometer doesn't have to be anywhere specific. I wouldn't put it too close to the water or way up on the roof but I got a hygrometer/thermometer with a velcro sticky back and just stuck it to the side of the bottom half. The temp reads 96-97F there while the thermometer on the eggs reads 101-102. That's the difference between on the eggs in the middle and down by the mesh on the edge. The humidity reads nearly the same everywhere though. So long as the eggs are between 96-102F they should survive and hatch. They will hatch at different times though. Humidity doesn't have to be so exact. I've hatched eggs that were incubated at 60% all the way down to 38%. I found 40-45 works best for my incubator but they'll still develop at quite a range. I turn my eggs by hand so I dunno what you do with a turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by