Hey everybody, new here.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sodapop, Jul 3, 2007.

1. sodapop

sodapop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2007
    Globe, Arizona
    Hi everyone!!! My name is Angel and yesterday I went to the nursery to find out what was wrong with my walnut tree and came home with three itty bitty chickens!!! There was NO THOUGHT into this what so ever. Im so totally excited over these lil babies...right now they arer in my living room{rofl} and I cant stop watching them. Im totally facinated with them. There names are Larry, curley and Mo!!
    Unfortunatley I dont know a darn thing about chickens...I live with PARROTS! Big difference here.
    I found the chicken house I want to build on the chicken coop pic page but I cant find the measurments for it.
    I believe its monicas chicken house?? Can someone please help me.

BTW these are totally pets and parts of the family now. I am not going to eat them...I sure hope Im in the right place.
    Thank you,
    sorry so long...Im just excited!!!
    Angel

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  2. sodapop

Jul 3, 2007
    Globe, Arizona
    Wow...okay did I say something wrong? 12 views and not even a hello.

3. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    Hi sodapop-welcome to BYC. I'm fairly new to chickens myself and yes-you are at the right place. Check out the forum for a bunch of different topics. That's how you'll find out just about everything there is to do with chickens.
    [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hi Angel, [​IMG] and welcome to the BYC family. Im not sure of the dimensions of that particular coop however, IF you are only going to have 3 ( and I say that because a year ago I wanted only 6 or 7, and am now just over 60) [​IMG] LOL Most of us here love our chickens just for pets and eggs. There are a few that raise meat birds, I for one have done it this spring. Now, as I was saying, if you only have the 3 chickens....you will need roughly 12 sq ft for a coop. Thats 3 x 4 . Chickens need 4 sq ft per bird. you will need a roost for them about 3 and 1/2 feet long, and one nest box. For the outside run, they need about 10 sq ft per bird. So, for your birds 3 x 10, or something close. However....If I was you, and you sound so much like me...I would build the coop and run larger...because I see more chickens in your future! LOL [​IMG]

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Hi sodapop...nice screen name...[​IMG]

Any questions will be answered on this forum...sometimes with different answers but most of the time you can get great info. Use the search feature and read through old threads and I bet every question you have has already been asked and answered...if you can't find an old thread, just fire away.

6. sodapop

Jul 3, 2007
    Globe, Arizona
    LOL....Im pretty smitten right now!! To think I was just as excited when I got my first parrot!! My birds are now making tiny peep peep noises and its hysterical I swear it sounds like I have 50 baby chickens right now. I would honestly like to go get all those babys at the nursery...it didnt seem like great living conditions, of course...for a parrot it wouldnt be....Im not sure yet how chickens are supposed to look.

Hopefully some of the questions Ill be asking are not completley stupid to ya'll but please remember....I have the mind set of a parrot lover so Ill be thinking some of the stuff I do for my birds inside Im supposed to do for my lil chickies!!!

7. sodapop

Jul 3, 2007
    Globe, Arizona
    Thank you

Soda pop is the name of my first cockatoo. I have used that name on parrot boards for sometime now and its very much like my own name now.

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

You've come to the right place! Between all the info on the main site www.BackyardChickens.com and this forum you'll have access to anything you could ever want to know about chickens!

MayberrySaint is right (again) that most questions, especially regarding basic care, have been asked lots of times. Use the really effective search tool and search the subject and then, if you still can't find an answer, search the subject and message text:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/search.php

Still can't find an answer? Post away!

9. sodapop

Jul 3, 2007
    Globe, Arizona
    Awesome!! I just KNEW there was more to this than just feed and water!!! SHEESH. The man I bought them from thought I was a loon with all my strange questions. On my way to the search feature!! IM SO EXCITED TO BE HERE!!!! THANK YOU

10. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome to BYC!! Aren't chicks just wonderful?

You say you know nothing about keeping chicks. Do you know they must have heat, like a heat light over one end of the brooder, to keep them warm enough when their tiny? Probably till they're 4-6 weeks old. I hoped you picked up some chick starter food for them and have a chick waterer, they are made just for them so they don't drown. If they are day olds and bantys you still need to put some marbles or pebbles in the water to keep them from drowning.

Welcome to the wild world of chickens!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by