Hey, Everyone from a new member.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by spuckett53, Mar 21, 2013.

1. spuckett53

spuckett53 New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    My husband and I live in North Carolina and we are new retirees. Although we were both raised in the country, neither of us have experience with chickens. We will be obtaining our four Rhode Island Red chicks next week. We're ready for the babies but we do need to get the coop and run finished. We know that we have a couple of months before these will be needed to acclimate the growing hens. Any novice information people want to shoot our way is welcome. We've been reading for several months now but experienced folks always have those little tidbits to offer and we welcome any information. Thanks. Looking forward to learning more and more.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I've gotten some great advice from this site and I've learned some valuable lessons through my years of chicken keeping. Some bits of advice I got for raising chicks and keeping chickens are:

1. Add a splash of apple cider vinegar to the chickens' drink water. It helps prevent pasty butt in chicks and it's very good for chickens of all ages.
    2. Don't underestimate predators. (That was my biggest mistake). Expect the worst and be prepared for it!
    3. Don't help chicks hatch unless you know what you're doing! (Another of my big boo-boo's)
    4. Keep at least a few basic medicines and first-aid goodies handy, just in case. You may never need it, but if you do, you'll be glad to made the effort!

Enjoy the site!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, spuckett53, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Good luck to you and your flock!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012