Hey everyone!! Newest member here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by IrishLad61, Feb 10, 2019.

1. IrishLad61

IrishLad61 In the Brooder

Feb 10, 2019
    Greetings to all. I'm retired US Army Infantry, who also spent 10 years working in a maximum security prison. I decided enough was enough and although I still work, it's now with people I enjoy being around. The wife n I are relatively new to raising chickens (6 months or so). We have 2, 1 a RIR and another unknown breed, but speckled looking. We plan on getting 2 more chicks in the spring and putting them in our current coop, which will give me time this winter to build a larger one for our older girls. I'm amazed how vocal they are and the significant personality differences. We LOVE fresh eggs!! and the difference in taste is amazing. I'm really looking forward to asking and learning. Talk to ya'll later!

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!! Yep, nothing like... Real...fresh eggs!

3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Got to love those fresh egg's, and every day is like going on an Easter egg hunt! :gig

4. IrishLad61

IrishLad61 In the Brooder

Feb 10, 2019
    Thank you, and ah, yup!! I can't wait to actually have 6 or 8. Then things will get really interesting!!

5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like you're already a victim of chicken math. 6-8 is a good start but 12-16 is even better. Welcome to the Backyard Chickens addiction, ah I mean flock. Yes, that's what I mean.

7. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Free Ranging

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    2byc-picket-fence.png
    Do you plan keep your new birds and old birds together eventually? If you get baby chicks they can actually be fully integrated by 4-5 weeks old, if done properly. Hatchery/feed store chicks come with little to no risk of bringing in disease or parasites. If your coop is big enough, they can be brooded right in there with the older ones with just a temporary barrier in between. Introducing little ones to an established flock is actually waaay easier than waiting until they're bigger or the same size (which for some weird reason always seems to be the suggestion). The smaller they are, the less of a threat they seem (more like just an annoyance) and the quicker they blend together.

I raised mine with the Mama Heating Pad method inside the coop (no heat lamp) and sectioned off the lower part under the poop tray as a temporary brooder. At first I had a hardware cloth divider:
    brooder2-5:30 2.jpg

Then at about 2-3 weeks old I switched to this picket fence with 3½" spaces which gave the chicks access to come and go, but still kept the grown hens out. Then they were completely off heat and roosting with the big girls at 4-5 weeks old.
    integrating-chicks.jpg

Here are some articles that explain the process in greater detail:
    Integrating at 4 weeks old
    You Certainly Can Brood Chicks Outdoors
    But feel free to ask me any questions!

8. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

9. KLIL

KLIL Crossing the Road

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
  10. SongBaby33

SongBaby33 ~~Glorious Songbaby~~

Nov 15, 2018
    England, Devon
    My Coop
    Welcome

[​IMG]