Hey everyone, so excited to be here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katiebell, May 9, 2011.

1. katiebell

katiebell Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Hi everyone!
    So I've been lurking here on the site without signing up for about a year now to find enough information to convince my parents to let me get some chickens. And now as of Saturday I finally have them, so I decided I could/should join!!!
    My dad and I converted a wooden playstructure I had as a kid into our coop, and I think it turned out pretty well. I hope the girls like it! We ordered the girls from a guy who gets huge orders of pullets in every month. Being a newbie to this however, I hadnt really known much about the whole debeaking thing, so it came as a bit of a surprise when we got them and realized they'd had it done. So now I'm just fretting over whether they're getting enough food, as they dont really seem to be eating any of the pellets we bought. They are beautiful red sex links, however, and I already love them!
    I'm really excited to be here and can't wait to continue this venture into whole the world of backyard chickens!
    Thanks!

~Katie(me![​IMG]), Daisy, Leila and Josie from NC

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas last summer I bought 2 starter pullets from a farmer who clipped beaks due to having them all in a small area. The beaks grew back in no time. I used game bird feed not the pellets they did fine they even free ranged. just watch their weight I am sure that they are eating. The beaks will grow back.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    oh, sorry about the debeaking. I bet that was a shock. I think you have to make sure the feed is deep, or the other way around.
    Do a search on that.
    Welcome and I am glad you are here! [​IMG]
    I am glad you have chicks and I hope it goes well for you.

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] . Congrats on your new chickens. Their beaks will grow back, and I'm sure they'll be quite happy chickens in no time. [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

7. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Welcome from South Carolina!! [​IMG]

8. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

9. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Hello from Oregon and welcome to BYC! Outside of photographs, I've never seen a debeaked chicken and I'm glad! I'm also glad to hear that beaks grow back. I learn something new every day I log-in here. [​IMG]

10. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from South Florida and get ready for chicken addiction. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by