Hey everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Canadian Tomcat, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Canadian Tomcat

Canadian Tomcat New Egg

Mar 2, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    First off I'd like to say hi from Alberta Canada where it's is nice winter day at about 15 F. Wanted to say thanks to all of the valuable input I read on this site preparing for my girls to arrive. I recently picked up my 10 Lohmann Browns and they're becoming more and more at home. They are 12 months old and after having them for only one week I'm getting between 6-9 eggs a day! They were moulting for dec and Jan and now are feathered in real nice again. I do have concerns for one girl though. At first I thought she ruled the roost as she was the first one up and got to the highest point. After watching the behaviours of the others I now think she may get up high to avoid the others. The other day when she was dust bathing in the saw dust she was getting picked on quite aggressively. The others were pecking at her head and she was just taking it in stride. Is this normal? Is there anything I should be doing for her, or just let it be? At any rate I appreciate the insight and look forward to hearing from you folks. So long from "north of the upper 48!"

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! It sounds like your new girls are settling in well wth you :D They sure do sound and interesting bunch and congrats on those eggs you are getting. I wouldn't be concerned about a bit of pecking whilst they are dust bathing. Mine do it all the time as it seems anyone laying down totally immersed in dust bathing is fair game to them.

Good luck with your birds in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from the states, Canadian Tomcat, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Happy BYC has been a valuable resource for you! Agree with CTKen....if she occupies the high ground in the coop, she likely does in the flock...usually those lowest on the pecking order hide in nest boxes or somewhere else down low. Just monitor and see if you see how they are to her when isn't isn't dust bathing. Best of luck and thanks for joining BYC!!

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I agree with Yorkshire Coop...unless blood is drawn, she's probably just fine.

Thanks for joining us!

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Glad you joined us, hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

6. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!:)

7. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hello, and :welcome glad you decided to hang with us. :D

8. :welcome :yiipchick :frow
    As long as there is no blood it should be okay.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Canadian Tomcat [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice with which I agree, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by