Hey for North Mississippi Ya'll!

TajMaChicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Hernando, MS
Hey BYC!

I am from Hernando, MS. I currently have a small flock of six hens - 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Welsummer, 1 White Rock, 1 Delaware, 1 Buff Orpington. I also have 2 Rouen ducks, a yellow labrador named Decker, a Chocalate Chessie/Lab named Colt and a very understanding boyfriend who thinks he knows what he's getting into.......LoL!

We are currently looking for a house. I want a place with enough land to allow me to have my chickens and whatever else I decide to aquire (wink, wink) without worring about offending neighbors. I am so exciting to finally be house hunting. I want to get married on my own property. I just think it would be so sweet and memorable to own that special place I was married at. I just had to laugh at a cute post I saw on here by WannabChick who dyed her silkie hot pink to be in a friend's wedding. That was so nice of her and it made her friend's wedding super special and memorable I'm sure.

I started this adventure of keeping chickens two years ago. I just mentioned it off the cuff after reading an article about chickens in a Mother Earth News mag. It was sort of a joke. On April Fool's Day I wasin TSC and there they were.......the cutest little things.
smile.png
So, I came home with 4 random chicks and 6 ducks I thought were Mallards.

The ducks turned out to be Rouens (can't fly worth a flip). I had two drakes and 4 susies. As they grew and were old enough to go outside and play in the lake, they made friends with the Candian geese. One day those Canadian geese brought along a friend - this crazy Brown Chinese Goose. We named him KnotHead. When the Canadians migrated north, umm..... he moved in with my ducks. It was a little while after that that he was sitting on my ducks eggs. I thought he was very confused goose. After further inspection, I realized "he" had laid a couple eggs as well. I realized I was the one confused. LoL! She actually hatched a duckling.

The four chicks turned out to be 1 dominique, 1 Golden Campine, and 2 Welsummers. I realized how social these birds were. The one Welsummer I curently have is the only one of this original four thanks to some irresponsible neighbor and their roaming untained dog. I was devastated.

After the dog, I had a dose of predators. I have never seen a bobcat in my life until one decides that my ducks look tasty. He got both drakes and one susie bafore we got him. Then one mysterious disappearance of another susie, a fox in my duck house who drug out my goose, and a red tailed hawk who killed my smallest susie. So, I learned predators will find you.
sad.png

I am on the hunt now for new chicks to grow my flock. Thinking Black Copper Marans would be great. It's so true once you get one chicken, you get more. I am a total chicken addict now!

Welcome from TX! I'm a newbie too and your story reinforced my fear of predators!! Hope you have better luck with your next batch
smile.png

Hi! from Tennessee. Coldwater should have a load of places to buy with a good bit of land just to the Soth of ya! I used to live in Hernando temporarily, pretty nice place
smile.png
Congrats on the up and coming marriage!!

Chic, predators are something to fear but I also had to tell myself it's nature. I keep my girls up in their run when I am not home. This was the deterrent to the roaming dog problems. They now only free range when I am there to hear any "baulk for help". The ducks have taken up with the Canadian geese so they stay out on the lake with them. Poultry are like the field of dreams to predators....if you have them they will come. I mean a bobcat....I have lived there 23 years and never seen a bobcat.

Back
Top Bottom