1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hey from mississippi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by spencerpearson, Jan 20, 2014.

1. spencerpearson

spencerpearson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    Hey just wanted to say hey new to egg hatching. Have had chickens for 2yrs and just got a RiR rooster to go with my RiR hens. Thing to get babys but just started 3 days ago try to let her brood but I don't know if she is going to.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have ya here [​IMG]

Good luck with your chicken math [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. spencerpearson

spencerpearson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    Yeah I hope all goes well candle the 3 eggs she lay no embero but it just started and I wanted to practice. Do I need to get reed of them seeing how she want seat on them. And she is not starting to brood. Or leave until she gets 10 of them. This is the first time for her she's 5yr old.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck in all your hatches and enjoy BYC!

6. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC :)

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! The BYC Learning Center has a couple of good articles on Broody Hens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks It sounds like your hen is not broody right now? It is hormonal and you can't really make a hen go broody, some breeds are more likely to than others, and some never will. So you don't waste eggs, you can put some fake eggs in the nest boxes and keep collecting the real ones until you have as many as you want her to brood, (the Learning Center Articles on hatching eggs explains how to store them) then just keep replacing the oldest eggs with the newer ones and use the old eggs however you want. If she does go broody, just give her back the real eggs.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by