Hey from Ohio.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by emeraldfire999, Sep 3, 2014.

1. emeraldfire999

emeraldfire999 New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    I moved to a large area in Ohio and decided to raise chicken. There was an existing coop in the pole barn so I cleaned it up on bought 4 red 6 month old hens about march. Then I got 4 baby chicks. And not knowing any better I just stuck them all in together. After I realized that was not what I should have done, I stuck the 3 left babies in a kennel in the run with the 4 laying hens till they had grown a bit. After I let them loose something ate one of the babies. So now I have 5 hens (4 red ones and one game) and one game rooster. And have decided the coop in the pole barn isn't working. So am building a new coop. It will be 6 ft by 7 ft and probably 5 ft high. I have an enclosed run with solid sides and a much larger area with just chicken wire around it to keep the dogs from chasing the chickens. I am loving all the fresh eggs. I want to eventually have about 10 hens. But not sure if that will work. I am still trying to figure out how big a nesting box needs to be. But I am having fun.

This City girl is loving her country home.

2. ColoradoChicky

ColoradoChicky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Foothills of Colorado
    Welcome! Make sure you keep us posted with pics! I love seeing new builds

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your chick, but I'm glad your having fun. I know I have lots of fun with my chickens. I would suggest looking at "Getting Started Raising Chickens" in our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens. You should find the answers to most of the questions you have there at your fingertips. Please feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. emeraldfire999

emeraldfire999 New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Right now it is just the floor and a plan. But I have to get it finished before the weather turn cold.these are my babies. The rooster has started covering the hens. I am no sure about the other one that is not red. She barks like a dog and does not crow, but I also have not gotten eggs from her either. I have been told to get rid of the rooster, but I like him.

[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lots of good information in the Coops and predator threads. Glad you joined the flock.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You need to be careful about your rooster to hen ratio. The rule of thumb is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and even potentially seriously injuring them. I currently have 25 hens and no roosters and I get loads of eggs without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, unproductive mouths to feed, and over-breeding and battering of the hens that goes with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free and seem to be really enjoying life without a rooster around.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with all your chicken projects and welcome to our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by