Hey from Tennessee ya'll.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Appalachian, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Appalachian

Appalachian New Egg

Jan 22, 2011
    southeast Tenn.
    Just wanted to take a quik minute to say hey to the flock, I reside about a hour west of Chattanooga along the southern edge of the cumberland platue, not a bad local at all, rural to say the least but thats what I love about it, biggest complaint is the log'n, wealthy poeple buy the land up then have it logged and leave the mess behind for us to enjoy, I know people have to work but I miss the woods.

At this time I dont have any fowl but plan on get'n me some this spring, by then I should have'm a nice dry, safe and fenced in coop, we're covered up in foxes and coon so it needs to be well thought out, probably gonna wind up with chicken wire across the top also, just in case.

For my Mothers birthday I'm gonna build her a hen house and a small fenced in lot (she has no idea so ya'll keep it between us), she's mentioned get'n her some chickens a few times so I figured it would be somethin she could enjoy, she loves her animals and I think she'll do good with'm.

With all this said what breed would ya'll recomend for her, somethi'n thats a good layer, not very tempermental and a easy keeper, also gonna register with back yard chickens so she can keep up with all she needs to know.

Ya'll take care, Appalachian.

2. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi, glad you joined us.
    Lots of breeds would work for you, my favorites for a new flock are rocks, orpingtons and easter eggers. But just read the different breed posts here and see what you like!

4. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    Welcome from good ol' wet Washington State~!

5. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from California.
    Chicken wire across the top is a must if you have varmints lurking about.

6. K9Carrie

K9Carrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Lodi, California
    A big warm [​IMG] from Lockeford, California!! [​IMG]

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

8. Appalachian

Appalachian New Egg

Jan 22, 2011
    southeast Tenn.
    Thanx fr the big wave of the hands from everyone, it was a interest'n to see wher ya'll were show'n up from, 3 from Cali., had one from not to far down the road in ol miss., Washington state, and last but not least Ohio, looks like BYC has the U.S. covered.

Grow'n up in the rural south every body had chickens then things changed and it seems poeple have got away from them, I guess the fact that they can run to the store and buy ther eggs and meat made a difference plus the demographics have changed somewhat, I was raised by depresion era people and ther friends so I guess they had chickens around since childhood and it carried over.

Maybe its just my notion but it seems chickens are have'n a resurgence in teh last few years, you hear of people in the cities have'n to get a permit (which just floors me, permit...I dont need no steenking permit.) to keep ther chickens, and possibly the fact that store bought food aint fit to eat consider'n all the chemicals thats in them some people are get'n back to fresh eggs and meat, which appeals to me also.

Again thanx for the welcome everyone, looks like found THE place to be for all things chicken and a experienced tribe to help with questions.

9. John-DownEastNC

John-DownEastNC Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Beulaville, NC
    WELCOME from DownEast NC, too. Hey, looks like I'm in just about the same boat as you are; I don't have any birds yet, but will be getting some Buff Orpingtons shortly! I think they are a good match for me. There is a great group of folks here to help you decide, too.

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by