Hey, 'Ganders! Potterville peeps are still here!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by frankenchick, Aug 28, 2007.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I was out with the chickens Friday, listening to the "thunder" and wondering if it would miss us as storms tend to do. About the time I got the babies into the coop and headed for the house, the sirens went off.

A friend of mine in Sunfield, who knows we don't have a TV, called me to say there was a tornado headed down Vermontville Hwy. I thought about running down and grabbing a couple of chickens, but decided it would be smarter to go to the basement. The tornado passed by about 5 mins later!

Aside from losing some shingles from the barn, we had no damage. Not like my neighbors a mile down the road.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Glad to hear your chickens are safe! Tornadoes are so scary! I used to be deathly afraid of thunderstorms as a kid (anxiety disorder) and would have a recurring dream about tornadoes and storms.

I got over my fear completely as an adult. Now I love to hear thunderstorms roll by. I like to be inside and it makes me think how wonderful it is to have a home with a good roof and thick walls to keep the storm outside.

Talk about karma - my sister used to laugh at me all the time because I'd be so scared I'd basically go catatonic as a kid when a thunderstorm came by. Now I'm no longer afraid of storms, but she is!

Of course, karma works both ways.... I used to laugh at her for being, ahem... shall we say, 'well-endowed' at an early age. Guess what 'grew' with my first pregnancy and never left. Sigh... she's had a reduction now and laughs at me, so much for give and take, I suppose! [​IMG]

Well, I'm roving around a bit too much down nostalgia lane, so probably should go to bed now, especially if I'm going to get those run panels finished tomorrow....

Susan

3. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Wow, I just googled the tornado and looked at some pictures of the damage. I didn't know it was so bad. Ya just don't think of tornadoes in Michigan. Glad you're OK.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  4. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    We are lucky. Its rare when we have tornadoes that are mile wide monsters and wipe out whole towns and kill scores of people. Texas to Ohio are where the really big ones usually form.

5. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I grew up in tornado alley, but we never had an EF3 come through.

We thought that in P'ville, all we had to worry about was train wrecks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by