Hey guys... here are some pics of my pheasants...

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by texascowboy1979, Sep 9, 2009.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are some pics of my pheasants... before something ate them... I still think its a snake.. but I learned my lesson... Ill keep chicks in a chick cage off the ground until the get larger like the pea fowl.

Here are the chicks... these were hatched via chicken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bosque

Bosque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Beautiful birds!

3. pktuan

pktuan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks for your pics,
    What species are they?

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    They may of just wandered off.The do not seem to want to stay with mom for some reason.They walk away and never look back.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Agree they will get out and hide in the high grass ,then get chill and die. Best to house the broody and chicks in a pen they can not get out of.

6. oleduke

oleduke Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    WV
    Quote:I'm pretty sure the chicks are Ring-Neck Pheasants, with the very last picture of his hand holding the chick being a male. At a day old, the male chick has a very distinct white line under the eye.

That hen looks to me like a hybrid of a Ring-Neck Pheasant and a Chicken. There is a very common feature in hybrids between a male Ring-Neck and a female Chicken; offspring being a hen of course (the long tail feathers). I could be wrong but it sure does look like it.

Did you raise the hen texascowboy1979 or was it acquired differently? Just out of curiosity. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:I'm pretty sure the chicks are Ring-Neck Pheasants, with the very last picture of his hand holding the chick being a male. At a day old, the male chick has a very distinct white line under the eye.

That hen looks to me like a hybrid of a Ring-Neck Pheasant and a Chicken. There is a very common feature in hybrids between a male Ring-Neck and a female Chicken; offspring being a hen of course (the long tail feathers). I could be wrong but it sure does look like it.

Did you raise the hen texascowboy1979 or was it acquired differently? Just out of curiosity. [​IMG]

For sure the chicks are ringnecks,yes can be sexed at dayold by the wrinkle on the males face.

The hen is a pure gamehen, angle of pic, makes the tail look longer, looks nothing like a chicken/pheasant cross.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/Pheas/RingN/BRKRingNHybrids.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by