Hey guys. I made this quail cage for some coturnix quailies tell me what u think.

Leadnation

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Hello everyone I made this cage for 10 female and 2 male quails I didn't got any blueprint or nothing just improvised tell me what u guys think thank you.

Looks great! Love the video, and I love the idea of moving it around to fertilize the backyard--GREAT solution to the waste problem!

One suggestion, besides adding the roof (which you already know to do), is to add a second layer of chicken wire or similar about 4 inches below the wire floor. The reason for this is that raccoons will grab toes and pull legs through the wire... and eat them off the quail. :( A second layer of wire prevents them getting a good angle & they can't grab quick enough.

Other than that, just a few niceties the quail will appreciate: A sandbox or dust bathing box. This can be as simple as a cardboard box with the top cut off and an entrance on one side, and then filled with loose dirt or play sand. Quail love to dig in the dirt or sand and make little "nests" for themselves. They also appreciate a layer of straw over the wire--wire is not comfortable for them, and they'll spend most of their time either in the sandbox or on straw if given the opportunity. With the layer of straw, waste will still fall through the wire onto the ground below.

They will also really appreciate shelter from wind and the sight of predators by closing in at least two sides with something solid like plywood. This also protects them from raccoons, who can reach through the wire and grab a wing or head. They will spend most of their time in the protected area, as they don't like to feel exposed.

Nice work on the whole thing. Great concept, and nicely executed!

Great idea thank you. That was exactly what i was thinking if the cats would scratch some feet and legs though the wire.

Back
Top Bottom