Hey guys I'm back! And with some weird news...

PetDuck

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
Cleveland, MS
Hey guys!
I know I haven't been on in a long long time but i have something to say.
My "male" duck Quackers, is actually a female!!!
I went to go put some hay in her bed and saw an egg in her cage!
This is her first egg as far as I know.
I am sooo suprised though!!!
I thought she was a he but I guess I was way off!!!

I have a couple questions though:
  1. What do I do with the eggs? (no males so they are infertile) Should I cook them and give them back to her for protein?
  2. How can I help? (Anything I should do to help like extra bedding, supplements etc.)
  3. How often do black Swedish ducks lay eggs?

Thanks and as always it nice to talk to guys again!!!

Petduck

Welcome back
frow.gif

1. Either is fine. Most people on here seem to just cook the eggs.

2. As long as she has a proper diet and plenty of space she should be fine.

3. Never had a Black Swedish so I can't answer this one.

Thanks Amiga!
It's nice to see you again as well.
Can you answers some of my questions?
It would really help me!!!!
By the way thanks for all the help getting me and the ducky all the way here! I really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Petduck

Congratulations on your girl duck! Lol. I have 2 I'm guessing gender on right now but I am pretty sure I have a male and a female. One of mine has been named "Cracker" by my 2 year old. She might have been trying to say "Quacker" but...Cracker stuck.
big_smile.png
To answer your questions:

1: You can cook them and fed them to her if you want, but most around here eat them themselves. They are delicious and rich. SOOOOo good for baking with.

2. Ducks tend to like to bury their eggs, so extra bedding will be good.

3. Swedish tend to lay approx 120-180 eggs a year depending on who you ask.

Good to see you around here again, PetDuck! And, your duck turns out to be a lady! How fun that she's started laying eggs. I can't really give advice since my duck doesn't lay eggs yet (call ducks are seasonal layers), but I'm sure others here will be able to help you out. Good luck with it all! Quackers must be feeling pretty proud of herself.
smile.png

Thanks Amiga!
It's nice to see you again as well.
Can you answers some of my questions?
It would really help me!!!!
By the way thanks for all the help getting me and the ducky all the way here! I really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Petduck
I am with 4hchickmama, extra bedding, we eat the eggs or give them away, and that breed lays about a third to a half of the days of the year. My runners lay for several months to a year once they start, then they take a rest for several weeks, then start back up. Most of their eggs are laid spring through early fall. As they age, after about three years old, they slow down a bit. Enough calcium in the diet is very important, to prevent internal problems like soft eggs, egg binding, heart and bone problems. Crushed oyster shell is what I use. They nibble at it. Or you can get a layer feed with extra calcium in it. It always seems so generous of the ducks to give us eggs.

She skipped a day and layed two eggs last night.
Should I be worried?
Is anything wrong?
She is acting just fine and dandy.
Oh and thank you very much Amiga!!!
I will make sure to get her some oyster shells soon.
I am going to Arkansas this weekend so I will be able to go to Tractor Supply Co. and get anything she needs for the next couple months.
Is there anything else I should add to my list?

So far I have:
Oyster shells
Egg wipes
And if I can find any, I will get her some supplements.

Anything else?

Not sure if you need egg wipes, but there are different opinions on that. I just use a dry dish towel. (which then is only used for egg wiping, btw)

The two eggs you found may have been laid at different times . . . might she have hidden one? When they start laying, sometimes there are odd little hiccups in the process.

Tractor Supply will likely have poultry vitamins. I would spend money on them before the wipes. For what it's worth.

So pleased she's giving you eggs. How dear!

I went to take the two eggs inside this morning to eat and she started chasing me and screaming at me.
I layed them on the ground so she could say goodbye and she softly pecked each one as if to give them a goodbye kiss.
She then watched as I brought them inside.
Is this simply because she thinks they were her babies?
Poor girl, it almost made me cry it was sooo sweet!
hit.gif

Will she get over that because if you haven't already found this out about ducks, they pout when they don't get want they want.
And trust me, she is the master at pouting and getting her way.
She is me little spoiled ducky.
gig.gif

But when shes that sweet you gotta love her! :)

Back
Top Bottom