Hey guys, Introducing my Silkie flock. 5 hens, 2 roos

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ParkCity, Aug 12, 2013.

1. ParkCity

ParkCity New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Hey Guys,

Found a bunch of information here when I first started back in June. Started with 4 hens, and a 4x8 coop/run. Tried to let them free range. Neighbors dog came over (we live on 13 acres, the two of us, same landlord) and killed them. Found them laying next to her front door step. Dog tried to attack my pup when we found them, like he was protecting his prize or something. Heartbreaking. Anyway, I took the high road and invested some $$$ into my new hobby.

After that, I invested some $$$ on a bigger coop/run, 9 1/2 x 12ft, and enclosed it all with hardware cloth, 1/2 inch. Found some old tin on some property we own and recycled it. All the wood I used was recycled from a deck we tore down as well.

Got the 2 older hens and roos in July, just got the other 3 hens last week. They have finally integrated after being sectioned off for 7 days.

Feeding them a special protein blend recommended by the breeder. I love them. My dog loves them.

Oh yeah, my gf is totally in on this deal deal. I let her pick out one hen to call her own, she is the red flaked white one in the video with my dog. They are bonding. This is after 7 days of finding out their pecking order. Her name is Princess. She wants to help raise 6 Polish hens @ her place soon. Can't wait.

We plan on breeding them next Spring maybe? Still doing research.

Big black roo - Bob
    Bib white roo - Whitey
    medium white hen - Ms Piggy
    medium black hen - Aunt J
    red/white - Princess
    small white - not named yet
    small black/red - not named yet

LOVE THEM!! Love this site. You guys rock. Silkies rock.

Im not sure how to post videos on this forum so if someone can help, that would be awesome!

Here are some links.

Vid is way shaky, those who get motion sickness beware, but still cool. Before I had the new hens.

Thanks again! They haven't started laying yet but will in the next few weeks. Have some left over lumber that I'll build a nesting box with this week.

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Great videos!!! Welcome to the site and best of luck with your awesome flock and dog!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Lovely Silkies and what a good dog.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, ParkCity, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I'll check out your videos. Good luck to you!

7. CityHen-Indy

CityHen-Indy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Your silkies are gorgeous! I only have one Silkie, but he's the favorite in the coop. I'm wishing my dog was as friendly as yours with the chicks. Still have hopes of friendship, but not taking any risks.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by