Hey guys~

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ducksliketoswim, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ducksliketoswim

ducksliketoswim Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    I am in the process of building an aviary and was wondering if quail were loud? I assume they are quieter than chickens would be but dont want to rush into buying them if i am just gonna have to rehome them because they keep waking the neighbors up at 3 in the morning. Thanks for the help! =]

2. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    My quail aren't that loud. Before I had one of my maturing chicks crow all night, and it was very annoying. It was loud enough for me to hear it from inside, but not loud enough to wake the neighbors. He did it early in the morning, but grew out of it eventually.

They only crow if they want to mate, pretty much. So, if you're getting quail for breeding as well, you should get a male with two to four females, so he's happy and they're happy. My adult quail almost never crowed, because he already had two mates. Otherwise, you really don't need a male, they don't do much, except mate, eat, drink, sleep and poop. They generally don't serve as protection and as the leader of the pecking order like chickens do. (Well mine don't.)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  3. ducksliketoswim

May 9, 2012
    Alright cool, thanks for the info! Is it easy to tell apart male from female quail? And do you know of any hatcherys that sell quail? sorry for all the nooby questions! I just wanna know as much as I can before I buy them.

4. Quail lover

Quail lover Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
  5. ducksliketoswim

May 9, 2012
    @ Quail lover alright cool, i'll go check it out!

6. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Jamesmariefarms.com He ships eggs incubation is easy peesy. I have 45 eggs in lock down due to hatch any day. To keep yourself in eggs you should hatch yourself. They only lay good for a year or so depending on light.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. ducksliketoswim

May 9, 2012
    Thanks! im gonna go look them up now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by