Hey Helmstead

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BarbK, Nov 16, 2007.

1. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    The horse forum I go to didn't have any answers can you help?
    Do you know where I can get a riding helmet for my daughter? Are there toddler sizes? She is so small I haven't been able to find one that fits.

My friend was kind enough to hold her horse so Lexi could have a pic taken.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Both Troxel and International brands make a very small childs helmet. They have something called "Dial a fit" which will grow with the childs head. They never had these when my daughter was growing up. I think the catalog Country Supply carries them or you could google each brand and see what you come up with. Good Luck.

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I forgot to add that the picture is priceless!

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    An average two year old will fit in a hat size 6 1/4 to 6 1/2. MOST helmet company's size small fits down to 6 1/2. You can add foam inserts to this to make the fit snugger. Inserts sometimes come with the helmet or at minimum can be purchased at the store that sells the helmet to you. Also in winter they can wear a helmet liner, LOL, which will make the fit better and keep the little ears warmer.

Whatever you buy - do NOT use a bicycle helmet. Make sure the helmet you purchase is ASTM/SEI approved. NEVER buy a used helmet as they might have already been involved in an accident and have less protection value. For my english students I highly recommend Troxel helmets as they are a less burdonsome purchase for the parents (as most kids don't actually stick with it). I wouldn't recommend a hat under $40, though. You do get what you pay for!

Your daughter is ADORABLE! So is the equine partner!

PS if you go to a reputable tack store they will be able to assist in helmet fit and can even order exactly what you need...

5. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Thanks guys. I just started using a helmet myself and I wasn't sure if there were any her size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by