Hey Homeschooling mamas..........any unschoolers OR eclectic style's

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by tobin123, Jan 18, 2011.

1. tobin123

tobin123 Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG]

JUST SOME QUESTIONS TO ANYONE WHO IS READING

So I have been researching different styles of schooling and I have learned a little that our/MY style is very eclectic and a little unschooling thown in there.I never purchased a main curriculum I pull from different books and workbooks,I have purchased THE COMPLETE BOOK OF ~different things~ to go from and lots of worksheets from the web.
    I just have been having issues with figuring out with the whole MATH area.My son is in the third grade learning area of Math and Spelling but elsewhere Fourth grade. He is learning his multiplication(slowly and this is how I want him to learn it,instead of being rushed through it)we have made it to the sevens now. We are working on fractions with common denominators and always reviewing addition/subtraction.
    I am worried that I can't move on from here BC in order to do uncommon denominators we need to learn division/multiplication.Is this just me WORRYING or what. [​IMG]
    Send me your thoughts

2. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Then you take a break on fractions on move onto other areas of math. I have had some of the same issues even with buying curriculum. Their order of learning was making no sense at all. They put the wagon before the horse IMO. So the book got put away. I go online and print free math worksheets on the areas we need to master. Once I have those down and maybe have thrown in word problems or a bit of early basic algebra, geometry in the mix now and then so they do not get too bored I open the book back up again and continue.

There is an awesome unschoolers group and they are about to have a weekend conference. I will try to post the website. I do not do unschooling but I know a few homeschooling parents who love it.

3. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Songster

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I've schooled my kid at home since he was kicked out of kindergarten because I wouldn't dope him up (adhd). I too am eclectic in how we do this. Loves worksheets and workbooks. Loves just reading and telling me what he's learned. There are times when I go through the encyclopedia and assign this topic and this section and so on. I print out a week's worth of assignments at a time, making sure to keep it fresh. M/W he does language arts and science, T/Th he does math and geography, and Fri he does reading/literature and art. He's very smart, but has lots of troubles with math. He's 14 now, and just found out he's autistic. Explains a lot.

Do what's best for you.

For math, we decided ... if he can "graduate high school" being able to do basics like balancing checkbook, calculating income tax and mortgage interest, and tipping a waitress (things like that), then I'll be happy.

Oh, and remember, when you're doing things like teaching your kid cooking, using measuring cups and calculating portions, etc... it's math, and it counts!

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    We unschooled our 2 kids. I just made sure that they had things to learn. I still don't know how they learned the things that they did. This past year DD graduated from the University of Washington with a BS degree in Technical Communications. Our DS spent 2 years at the local CC from the age of 16 to 18. He didn't finish because he got a job with the County's road operations. That boy loves his job, and he is still the youngest member on staff. So some how it all works out. There are a lot of paths, and often the best education is simply to teach our children that we learn for lifetime, not just for the first 18 years of our lives.

5. tobin123

tobin123 Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    Thanks a lot for the info. I am just bascically trying to use the skills that I know he will need to use in life and go with it.I am trying to work with what I print off and continue from there.I have found several websites that have different greade levels listed then you choose what to pint from there.My husband has been helping alot when I start worrying about what I should be teaching.

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    We took a class on homeschooling when we first started. In the State of Washington you have have at least 45 college credits or a class in HS or permission from the district superintendent. Well our basic option was the class in homeschooling. One of the things we did was create plan to teach our kids the 11 required subjects. it was a great reference when I started to worry that the kids weren't doing enough schooling.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We are pretty much unschoolers. Our kids do no formal work other than the occasional math worksheet when my husband starts to worry they aren't learning enough [​IMG] . Math is something that they use when they play games, do cooking or baking, and go shopping. I think that seeing how math is applied in real life helps them understand its importance and gives them a drive to learn it far more than any worksheets we will ever give them. Of course, I think that about just about everything they learn.

I agree with the person who said to take a break from the fractions and concentrate on something else for a while. As you know, that is the beauty of homeschooling, we can tailor everything to the needs of our children. Take advantage of that!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    My kids are IN school right now and one has issues with math. I have to teacher her at home. I would recommend some math games for the PC.

9. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Songster

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I love http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/ ... specifically the "basic operations worksheets" section. You can keep printing them out, with different options, and never get a duplicate. Actually, I'm thinking I haven't done those in a while, and my kid could definitely benefit from getting back to basics.

Enjoy!

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is no reason you cannot teach division at the same tme you teach multiplication. Since you are up to sevens in multiplication, you could be up to sevens in divisors/quotients:

2x7=14 and 7*2=14 and 14/2=7 and 14/7=2

Use manipulatives; pay as much attention to teaching the purpose/reasoning as to the accuracy. A calculator can give acuracy, but it cannot apply reasoning.

Deal a deck of cards into 2 hands, 3, 4, 5, etc. Does it go in evenly or not? If not, what is the remainder? Use square or rectangular shapes and draw lines to make equal divisions of the shape; colour in 1/3 if divided into 3; 1/2 if divided into 2 or 4, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by