1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hey how come my chickens won't lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yoshi xii, Oct 1, 2007.

1. yoshi xii

yoshi xii Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2007
    my chickens are 6 months old and not laying eggs how come

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Mine either!!!!! [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Post pictures of them so we can verify they are girls because new people have often been fooled. In addition, are you sure they are not hiding their eggs? What about food, are they eating the correct poultry feed for their age? Such as layer feed free choice.

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I'm in the no-egg boat myself! Bunch of freeloaders... JK!

Mil was fooled the other evening. Dh was hard at work in the henhouse, but the sun was going down and it was really dark. Mil was looking through the window at him and said, "An egg! An egg!" LOL! Yeah, there ARE eggs.. if you like the plastic, neon colored kind.

Meghan

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    yoshi xii, are any of them crowing? [​IMG]

6. JacobsRewardFarm

JacobsRewardFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Parker, TX
    My eight pullets were on probation up until recently. Today, I got 5 eggs, and one of those is from one of my two adult birds. So half of the girls are doing their job, but I'm still waiting on the other half. Two should be green eggs (Ameraucanas) but I haven't seen any of those yet.

I have really been tapping my toe because the girls are 25 weeks old on Wednesday! For several days I got 3 eggs, then 4, then only 2 yesterday, and then FIVE today!! Woohoo! I have people begging me for eggs, and my girls have been behind schedule! I hope we're on an upward trend, at least until cold weather kicks in. [​IMG]

Here's today's haul:
    [​IMG]

I know you get sick of hearing, "be patient," but sometimes that's all you can do. Best to you,
    Cindy T.
    Parker, TX

7. yoshi xii

Aug 25, 2007
    the only one crowing was the male rooster

i no i just want to say i have a rooster

i'll take pics of them and i'll show you them because i'm not sure

they both are big and they look like females to me

8. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I too am patiently.....awaiting eggs....18 weeks today...I may have a few weeks but I too feel like I'm raising a bunch of freeloaders!!! LOL LOL:lol:

9. yoshi xii

Aug 25, 2007
    mine are 26 weeks old and not laying

i no where all there hiding place is and i checked and no eggs

10. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Wow! [​IMG] I'm fortunate...2 out of 3 of our Banty Mottled Cochins (20 weeks old today) have been laying since this past Thursday...I've got 8 so far in the fridge. Here's passing along some egg-layin' karma from my flock, to yours! [​IMG]

Dawn

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by