Hey howdy hey!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NTX575, Mar 9, 2014.

1. NTX575

NTX575 New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    Maine
    I don't have chickens, yet. I've been kicking around the idea for about three years now, and I think I'll pull the trigger this year.

So, I'll have many questions, such as breeds of chickens, care for chickens, construction of the coop, etc.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'd suggest you start off with the Learning Center. There are articles on everything from choosing breeds, to keeping them healthy, dealing with broody hens, predators etc. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We've all been knew once! Enjoy the site and keep us posted.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Definitely follow Sumi's advice and browse thru the learning center. Lots of good reads on all aspects of poultry keeping from building the coop, raising your new babies, keeping, feeding and protecting your flock from predators.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your new poultry adventure!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. kenmlang

kenmlang Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2014
    Cut-N-Shoot,TX
    Welcome, you really need to follow sumi's advice. I have learned so much from the learning center, from picking breeds to coop design, to doctoring sick birds. Again Welcome!!

6. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Hello and welcome!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey, howdy, hey back at ya - welcome to BYC.

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    No, NO!! Don't take sumi's advice and start perusing the "Learning Center"! It's a mistake, I tell you!! You'll never get off the computer! After wiggling and reading for 20 minutes you might run off to the bathroom, only to race back and see if someone posted something new. And for Heaven's sake, avoid the forums!! Thanks to the forums, I ran out of dishes to use for supper last night. (That was easily resolved, though - I didn't make supper! Ken came in and saw me still on the computer - he asked me where supper was. I told him it was in the phone book.) And if you've settled on the type and number of chickens you want, then at all costs do NOT hit the breed forums. They call it "Chicken Math" on here.....first you're satisfied that you've picked the right number of the right breed or variety and then BAM....somebody posts a picture of a chicken you just HAVE to add! Don't even get me started on the chicken coop forums! The evolution from chicken shack to Taj Majal hits fast, and just gives you more convoluted reasoning about making your coop just a little bit bigger, which in turn leads you back to chicken-adding again. Or even worse, chicken multiplying!

All chicks reach a stage I call the "chicky uglies" - that point where those cute little fluffy balls become gangly, part feather, part down, with grownup looking beaks and baby eyes. Whatever you do, do not look at the pictures people post of their newest tiny little chicks. You'll look at your teenagers and think, "Aw, I remember when you were tiny and cute like that! I kinda miss it!" And the next thing you know you're online filling out a hatchery order form!

There, I hope I've helped you a little bit. That's what we do here at Back Yard Chickens - we help each other! LOL So welcome! Now if you'll excuse me there was a thread on the Deep Litter Method I need to take a "quick look" at!
    [​IMG]

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    BYC is horribly addicting.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by