1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey, i got another question... :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Buff Oreo, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Buff Oreo

Buff Oreo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Iowa
    Hokay... so i bought a 20$ lamp at wally world last mont for when it was dark before DST. it doesnt work well. its a coleman blue lamp that has a fluorescent tube inside. i took it out and 2 days later [the lamp came inside after i took care of the chicks] it stopped working. sitting by the door, it only works on half the bulb. i dont need it anymore, but could i fix it somehow [cheap?] also would normal tree lights work for the coop? or do i have to use outdoor ones? [​IMG]

2. kcwazzu

kcwazzu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    Since it's a Coleman I'm just guessing battery operated? Change batteries? Change bulbs?

Keith

3. Buff Oreo

Dec 5, 2011
    Iowa
    batterys are fine, its the bulb. im just kinda ticked, pardon my swahili, that it lasted 2 days. [​IMG]

4. Buff Oreo

Dec 5, 2011
    Iowa
    wow. cant say p-i-s-s-e-d either.

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Can't you return it? If it only lasted 2 days I'd return it and get my money back.

6. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    wally world will take it back with no receipt......go exchange it for 1 that works

7. I ran electric out to coop and I use a cheap 2 bulb ceiling lamp with 2 100 watt equivalent CFL's.

If you dont have electric, they have a solar light that has a long cord on the solar panel part. You could easily mount the light in the coop and the charger on the roof thru a little hole. Only thing with that is you have to go out and turn it on manually. I used one of these I found at an auction before I ran electric out there.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have an electric cord heavy duty to the coop and use two heat lamp lights with two 60 watters. The cord is plugged into a power strip in the garage.

I wish you well,

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by