Hey, i gotta question...

Buff Oreo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Iowa
so... my chickens laid in my nesting box ONCE. total!!! only one chicken laid in it! i think its too high, but its too cold to move it right now until april, and im sick of eggs that have poo on them. Help!!!
sad.png

hay bro what do you have in the nesting box? how high is it? what chook have you got in there? and chooks like to lay in closed in ares (Most chooks that is) oh and whats the temp?

welcome-byc.gif

I found that my birds preferred lower boxes close to the ground. Their favorite place to lay was a plastic milk crate full of hay, sitting on the ground. They also really liked an old cat box that I filled with hay and put on the floor of the coop. Something like that might keep your eggs a little cleaner.

i think the problem is the height. it is about a yard off the ground, which i KNOW is too high. but it is cold [20 degrees F today] and i cant move it without getting frostbite. any way else to encourage them?

Thanks so much for the help, but i just want to leave it there! i mean, they laid there once, why cant they do it again?
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom