hey i have a question about my ducky ??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gapeveryday, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Gapeveryday

Gapeveryday Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    FL
    [​IMG] Hi I was just wondering if it normal for my ducky to have it mouth open and breathing fast he or she is only going to be 5 weeks tomorrow. Nothing wrong with him or her he or her is not sick at all or anything like that i was just seeing if it just something ducks do? thanks [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    He might be a bit warm. Like dogs..Ducks will pant to cool themselves. I will first notice mine doing it from about 4 weeks old if they are too warm in the brooder.

3. Gapeveryday

Jan 5, 2011
    FL
    Quote:thanks..... my duck just stays in my room with me and walks around and follows me so probably he or she does it cuz its thirsty, lolzz thanks for replying to my post! [​IMG]

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Is he a muscovy duck? I've seen one do that when he gets really excited, but being warm/thirsty is a better explanation.

5. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Ducks do need to drink an awful lot of water. They use it to wash down food, to play in, to wash their faces, to preen with, to dabble in, to filter any goodies in it (mud!) and for the pure joy of making mess. They poop semi-liquid poops so need the water for this too. I would make sure that little ducky has access to water all the time in several places. I find that mine tend to forget where the water is sometimes and prefer to have several containers spread around, which also lengthens the time it gets mucky too. Perhaps as a youngster your ducky has not learned that it has to drink a lot yet? Might be due to being an only duck and not having other ducks to learn from? They do seem to do things as a group. If I am right about the only duck part?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry unless you notice raspy breathing or the chest going in and out quite drastically. Some beddings can be a bit dusty and lead to respiratory problems, but if yours is indoors this is probably not an issue.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just make sure the water it has is deep enough that it can put it face into the bowl to clean it's nostrils.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  7. Gapeveryday

Jan 5, 2011
    FL
    Quote:no he or she is a pekin duck lol

8. Gapeveryday

Jan 5, 2011
    FL
    awe okay and yeah Jojo is the only duck lol but he seems to love it and he drinks lots of water and i take care of his pen, i clean it everyday and jojo takes a bath twice a day and has food and water all the time. i dont know maybe it just something he does.jojo does it alot but he isnt sick i keep him ode clean lol [​IMG] are they prone to respitory problems

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ducks are very hardy and it could be dry air, in the winter I have a problem with dry and with the heat on and such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by