Hey Illia, or anybody else with color expertise...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lothiriel, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Would you call this color similar to Silver Duckwing?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know it's not really Silver Duckwing. [​IMG] But is it close?

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I would say closer to campine, or quill, than duckwing.

3. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Ooh.. You're right... Interesting...

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, it is Silver Duckwing (campine color is actually pretty complicated, and duckwing based young birds often mimic it in their first stages) but she's possibly not pure or has something else in her too. She is probably carrying Columbian, or hasn't yet gotten her salmony breast, or just has something else going on. Silvers can vary.

The brown you're seeing slightly hidden in her baby feathers will disappear though. Same as all the barred appearance.

I have a Silver Duckwing Araucana who looked like her but lighter for a while, then as she matured, she developed an incredibly pale salmon breast. Some don't develop much of one at all, and often that is a sign of having Columbian, which is common in EE's.

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
  6. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you! I don't have a current picture of her (that one is from when she was 8 weeks), but like you said, the barring is becoming less distinct and there's not as much brown. Her breast is also getting a very faint hint of salmon, if I remember correctly. She is an EE, by the way.

Any ideas as to what she might have in her to make her be Silver Duckwing?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:on a wild Background(e+) you can check if a hen is silver(white) or gold(shade of red pigment, can vary with red enhancers or red diluters like cream or dilute) by checking their neck color(Hackle feathers) that´s about the most acurate way, as some silver hens can show lots of red colors on their bodies but will retain silver on the neck even if the body is red. but I am talking about a different genetic make up and is not about your bird´s genotype.

below pics repressent a Silver Duckwing(S/- e+) female on the Left. a Gold Duckwing(s+/- e+) female on the right
    and a Cream Gold Duckwing(s+/- e+ with autosomal recessive cream doing the dilution). you can see that Silver is almost ineffective in diluting the hens natural salmon color(same with cream)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  8. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    That's very interesting, nicalandia. I'd say Echo is a Silver, because her hackles are white with the black points (they remind me of the Columbian pattern). I looked closer at her breast and there is some salmon coloring coming in -- just ever so slightly. I think I'll try to get some updated pictures tomorrow.

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:that is a correct assessment

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    This is so beyond any knowledge that I have. Where would I go to start learning something about chicken color genetics?
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by