Hey! I'm new here :D

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kdolly87, Dec 23, 2014.

1. kdolly87

kdolly87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga
    Hey Yall,
    I'm Katie from Georgia :) I just got my chicks on saturday and man am I in love! One buff orpington: Marilyn Henroe an Easter Egger: Bonnie and two Gold laced Wyandotte. I had been given 3 splay legged chicks but two have sadly passed away despite hours of coaxing them to sip water and eat some feed. They were just too weak when i got them :(

That being said I still have one splay legged that seems to be thriving despite the poor condition she was in when i got her. But the problem is she will hop around on one foot. I made the make shift splint out of bandaids to hold the one foot flat and her legs together but she just couldnt walk at all and just fell over on her side. I'm beginning to think she's not splay legged on closer inspection her legs arent that far apart. Could her foot be broken? i felt of it to see if there was anythin abnormal. The only thing i can see is her *knee* seems swollen and there doesnt seem to be any muscle mass in her leg. Any thoughts?? I have since taken off the splint as she seems to be doing better without it. I would just hate for her to live her life hopping around like a bunny lol. I think I'll name her Gimpy.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry not many greeters seem to be showing up today. You could post in detail(photos too) at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. Welcome to the flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Love that name Marilyn Henroe

1 person likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Katie. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry that some of your chickens have had leg problems and that one of them is hobbling around. X2 on drumstick diva's suggestion to post on our Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with Gimpy.

5. kdolly87

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga
    [quote name="Michael OShay"

Thank you so much!! Well the two with splay legs did pass. One in the early hours of Sunday morning and one around noon. But at least they were loved and cuddled before they passed. Just heart breaking to see something so sweet and innocent slip away like that.
    Thanks again for the warm welcome :)

6. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry for the loss of your chick. Please make yourself at home here and ask any questions you may have. Nice to have you join us!

7. kdolly87

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga
    [quote name="NorthFLChick"

Thank you so much!!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

1 person likes this.
  10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by