1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey it’s good to be back home again....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Birch Run Farm, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I had a pretty good day today even though I have a cast on one leg and can hardly do what I normally do on a weekend.

It was a cold, damp morning with thick fog here in the Green Mountains. After a pot of hot coffee and a quick breakfast the sun finally burned the damp out of the air.

I bound up my cast in a feeble attempt to keep it clean for a few more days. Knowing Nurse Ratchet was waiting to shoot a disapproving look and tell me I am gonna lose my foot to a Staph infection on Thursday.

I stumbled out to the barnyard anyway. Chores and impatient livestock were waiting for me.

Not being able to flex an ankle doesn't seem all that inconvenient but it really is. I am constantly being thrown off balance on any uneven ground. Even the smallest stone underfoot nearly tips me over. I think to myself, very bitterly, that Medicine just does not think to accommodate people who do not live in a flat concrete jungle. I despised the constant cant of my leg at an awkward angle which would then shove my worn out knee joint to rub even more painfully on bare bones, the cartilage long worn away....

The first chore of the day was to build a huge perch in the new coop. I got that done and finished painting and restoring a rusty old 10-hole nest box I bought for $20 off CL for the girls. I was even able to move it inside and get it hung on the wall. Then I moved some first time mothers into quiet quarters with their beautiful newly hatched chicks. The last of the year.

I listened to my turkey poults and ducks clamour, seperated unwanted cockerels for future slaughter, collected eggs and tried to count the new pullets. Played with the dog, coaxed my three young ringnecks into coming for some corn. Fed the ever hungry pigs and finally hauled some firewood up the steps (in a cast) to the living room....

It was a cool night by the time the dinner hour rolled around. I was feeling chilly and got a fire going in the woodstove. I went and showered quickly and after drying off I made a gin & tonic and lit the grill. The sun cast long shadows and I grilled some hot dogs slowly on the BBQ. While grilling and relaxing I noticed some of my trees were starting to show Autumn's kiss. I turned the radio on and heard this song:

There’s a storm across the valley, clouds are rollin’ in
    The afternoon is heavy on your shoulders
    There’s a truck out on the four lane a mile or more away
    The whinin’ of his wheels just makes it colder

He’s an hour away from ridin’ on your prayers up in the sky
    And ten days on the road are barely gone
    There’s a fire softly burnin’, supper’s on the stove
    But it’s the light in your eyes that makes him warm

Hey it’s good to be back home again
    Sometimes this old farm feels like a long-lost friend
    Yes ’n’ hey, it’s good to be back home again

There’s all the news to tell him, how’d you spend your time
    What’s the latest thing the neighbors say
    And your mother called last Friday, “Sunshine” made her cry
    You felt the baby move just yesterday

Hey it’s good to be back home again - yes it is

Oh the time that I can lay this tired old body down
    Feel your fingers feather soft upon me
    The kisses that I live for, the love that lights my way
    The happiness that that livin’ with you brings me

It’s the sweetest thing I know of, just spending time with you
    It’s the little things that make a house a home
    Like a fire softly burnin’ supper on the stove
    The light in your eyes that makes me warm

Hey it’s good to be back home again

Hey it’s good to be back home again - you know it is
    Hey, it’s good to be back home again
    I said hey it’s good to be back home again

Words and music by John Denver

Wow

I had not heard that song for a long, long time. It really made me feel like the day was truly wonderful despite my physical shortcomings and reminded me that mine are just temporary. I said a few prayers for those less fortunate than me and I hope my thoughts get to those who need more strength than me and their spirits also feel a lift like mine did today!

Peace!

~Ann

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Welcome back to your home and your friends, I hope you get better and well very very soon [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I love he way you have written your thread! ...... got to the end and wanted to read more! .....

Get well soon .......... and lets have more news on your day(s)

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Thanks! It is neat to sit back and contemplate the day each evening. If I were better disciplined I would keep a diary. Well, off to visit an elderly friend and make some breakfast for her.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    wow...your a huge trooper despite your ailment! you go girl! welcome back and I hope you feel better real soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by