1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey Louisiana folks & others close by

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bayouchica, Jun 1, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    hey yall I'm getting disgusted with my chicken feed ... Prime Quality, well I guess my feed store as well.In the summer their feed bags have bugs all over it, I have to go to Monore to get feed.
    are there any other brands yall use? I've tired the Country Acres by Purina & wasn't happy with it, is there anything else I can try?
    Thanks,Miriam

2. bayourouge

bayourouge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    purina show chow broiler complete. they do great on it and you can SEE the difference in their sheen

3. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi there bayourouge, how are ya ? been awhile since I've seen ya post.Hope all is well. [​IMG]
    Thanks, I did finally switch to Purina. I found out they have Layena in crumbles,my flock hates pellets. [​IMG] Plus the other feed store I was going to didn't care if their were bugs in their feed.
    I'll have to see if they carry that brand you're talking about.thanks again.
    P.S. stay cool, hot as you know what [​IMG]
    Miriam

4. bayourouge

bayourouge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    lol, it sure has been awhile. you're right bout the heat too. the feed i was telling you about is a crumble also. i pay just under 14 bucks for 50lbs. the feed store used to have to order it for me because i was the only person around here using it. she said she orders 10 bags at a time now, just from me telling people about it.

5. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    The feed they sell during the summer is usually bagged the winter before, and since our feed companies are small, bugs tend to lay eggs in the feed, and during the summer it gets so hot and humid the eggs hatch, and the little bugs are in there gnawing at the feed which will make it fine like sawdust at the bottom of the bag sometimes. And you know as well as I do that chickens eat bugs. But as long as the feed isn't wet or moldy it's fine.

6. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi TheNewChick, yeah I don't mind chickens eating those bugs...but the bugs are taking away the nutritional (sp?) value of the feed. Some one correct me if I'm wrong. [​IMG] It says on my Purina bag not to feed them if there are bugs in the feed or mold.
    This Purina dealer is great & so far no bugs in their feed.So, I'm sticking with them. [​IMG]

7. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    It all says not to feed if there are bugs in it but that's a part of life... Hmmm.. I would think the bugs themselves would have the nutrients.... Maybe that's just my idea. haha. But I'm glad you found a feed you like!

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Purina Layena crumbles. The best feed in the world. Of course you pay more for it, but it's for the chickens...........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by