Hey MissPrissy

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by sara, Aug 27, 2008.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Angie, I was reading your blog, and might try your starter, do you have a good sour dough bread recipe to go with it?

Sara

2. check the Amish websites, they have great bread receipes.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Tons of recipes work well with the sour dough starter.

There are breads and rolls and cinnamon buns and all sorts of things!

The amish friendship bread is a good one and there are a few variations of that bread recipe. I like the raisen breads - the amish starter, which is what mine is because it uses a full cup of sugar, are excellent in sweet bread recipes.

Let me find you a recipe.

Remember, if you start the starter you have to give it TLC and feed every 5 days for 10 days before using it to bake with.

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Oh, I saw a show on Paula Deen a while back with some incredible looking cinnamon rolls that require a starter.

Let me go find her link. I haven't tried them but they sure looked amazing.

She used this recipe to make cinnamon rolls but the link on the page redirects to something else. [​IMG]

I am going to just put the recipe here in case it disappears.

Fried Cinnamon Sticks
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen Not! It was another woman who brought the recipe to the show!
    Show: Paula's Best Dishes
    Episode: Upside Down

Peanut oil, for frying
    Cinnamon Bun Dough, see recipe
    Skewers
    Powdered sugar, for topping

Preheat fryer, or heat oil in large pot to 350 degree F.
    Cut long 1-inch strips from cinnamon bun dough. Wrap dough around skewers. Place doughnuts into fryer and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, flipping to fry both sides. Place doughnuts aside onto a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Cinnamon Bun Dough:
    Starter:
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup Idaho potato flakes
    1 teaspoon dry active yeast
    1 1/2 cups warm-hot tap water
    Cinnamon Buns:
    Nonstick oil spray
    1 cup starter
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cups vegetable oil (recommended: Mazola)
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 1/2 cups hot tap water
    1 (1 tablespoon) package active dry yeast
    6 cups all-purpose flour (recommended: Pillsbury)

Filling:
    2 sticks butter
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar, plus more if needed
    1/2 cup ground cinnamon
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/2 cup raisins

Starter: One day before you plan on baking the cinnamon buns combine the starter ingredients. Stir this mixture occasionally with a rubber spatula and your starter should soon start bubbling within 12 hours.
    Cook's Note: You will know this because you will see bubbles along the side of the glass container and you may possibly see bubbling on the top of the mixture as well. Let this mixture sit bubbling, uncovered, until you are ready to make bread the next day. You might want to stir it occasionally. Remember this is a living culture and you will need to take care of it in order to keep it alive.

Buns: When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 170 degrees F. Prepare 2 (9 by 12-inch) rectangular baking dishes by spraying with nonstick oil spray.

In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together starter, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, salt, water, yeast and flour.

After mixing the dough for about 2 minutes, remove the dough to a bowl sprayed with nonstick oil.

Cook's Note: If the dough mix is too loose, add more flour.

Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in size. The rising process will take 1 to 4 hours, depending on the altitude and weather at the time and place you are making the buns.

When doubled, dump the whole pile of dough onto a well-floured surface and with a rolling pin manipulate the dough to make a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick.

Filling: Melt 2 sticks of butter to where it is creamy and spreadable. Spread the butter onto the dough triangle making sure you spread thoroughly to all corners. Sprinkle brown sugar and then cinnamon over the butter making sure that the whole triangle is covered, corner to corner. Top with chopped pecans and raisins.

For the record - this is not a Paula Deen original recipe. The recipe was originally credited to the lady who came on the show with a dough starter she had been working with for 47 years. See, this is why I hate recipes that do not give proper credit where it is due! This is one reason I don't care for Paula as much as I did in the past. [​IMG]

Many of the things she has put her name on are tried true recipes many families from regional areas of Georgia have always cooked as a part of their family heritage and she has tried to claim them as her own original recipes. [​IMG]

6. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    MP, since you mentioned the Friendship bread, I'd like to pick your brain about it, if I may.

For the first time in about 10 years, I have a starter of this amazing bread on my counter right now. The only downfall of having the starter is finding enough people (an issue I have -- small town, and I run in a VERY small circle, LOL) to share the starters with. And so, I thought I would bake some up for Christmas without gifting all the starter bags. The current starter will be ready for baking tomorrow.

If I keep one starter, but want to work the remaining three into loaves I'll bake tomorrow, how would you recommend altering the recipe? Or, can it even be done with success? Can the starter be frozen with success?

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

thanks, I'm going to give it a try. I do have a question though. I see you covered it with cheese cloth, but then later put a lid on it. When do you put the lid on? After feeding it?

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Chicken-mama - when your starter is ready for you to begin baking with it you can save one cup and keep feeding it if you want and put the rest in one cup batches in the freezer.

When it thaws, give it a full 24 hours to reactivate and begin feeding it again.

Sara- at certain times it will draw those sour bug things that fly around your kitchen. I always put cheese cloth over it during the day so it can breath but at night before bed I pop the lid on it. If i have guests coming over I put the lid on it too - So it looks pretty [​IMG]

9. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    [​IMG] Thanks, MP!!! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Well I am off to the store to get a container to keep my starter in. I went and bought bread flour, then came home and realized I didn't have anything to keep it in. So anyway, I will finally get this started this afternoon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by