Hey Mister!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by KsKingBee, Aug 12, 2014.

1. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

DW decided we had to do something about the weather. A normal summer in Kansas is full of 100 + degree days, except this year, and as I type it got up to a whopping 82 today. But never mind that, she had to do something to keep the birdies cool. That red hot Kansas sun combined with the wind from Oklahoma (Oklahoma blows), really takes it out of ya and the birds really suffer.

Soooo, like a good hubby I get all the materials to make a misting system for the bird pens and this is what I came up with.

The half inch PVC pipe runs below the roof and above the roost.

[​IMG]

There is a mister every six foot, two per pen 12 foot wide pen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mister in action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess I an start on the new pens now...

1 person likes this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wow, that's amazing! Hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna share this post with the folk in the Nor Cal thread. [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  3. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    That is really wonderful!
    [​IMG] to DW for her concerns about pea comfort and safety, and to you for your excellent handiwork!

BTW: Look out Kathy, the CA water police might not be happy about this concept...

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Aren't there some cities that will site you for washing your car or or driveway?

-Kathy

5. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    I liked your pens, very nice [​IMG]

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2, they are pretty nice!

-Kathy

7. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    By the way, i don't know if you guys familiar with heat insulator things for birds pens like this:
    [​IMG]
    But it really helps in summer to keep the pen cool, most people here use them for their pens since our weather in June, July and August usually gets up to 125 degrees!

8. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    OMG and I complain when it gets to 90.

9. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Down here in some parts of SoCal you can get a $500 fine for "hosing down hard surfaces"...

10. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

How in the world does anything survive in that kind of heat? It must be a 'dry' heat... [​IMG] Seriously, what humidity do you have with that heat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by