Hey monarc!! I have a source for bobwhites!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shelleyd2008, Nov 16, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I went with my dad to church tonight and was talking to the pastor. I mentioned that I am planning on getting some quail next year, besides the ones I already have. He said that brother so-and-so at church has a friend that has over 3000 quail!! [​IMG] When I found out who brother so-and-so was I asked him about it. His friend only has bobwhites, but he said he does too. He told me to let him know when I want some, and he'd get me as much as I need!! [​IMG] He said they don't do anything with the eggs, they just get rid of them!! [​IMG] So maybe it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get my bobwhites started!!! Still need to find some chukars. CUDA has some, but he lives in MI or WI, and I would like to find some closer to home!! But [​IMG] I can get my bobwhites!

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Ooh... I know where to get eggs from now!!

I will have Chukars in the spring, but if TX is ok, look up the Rosebud Chuckars for eggs. Good prices, and the guy is really nice. [​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    that is awesome Shelley! I'd love to get a small flock of bobwhites someday if I can convince my mom to let me build a proper thing for them, and as long as permits aren't too much here. But around here, my mom is more the law than anything haha! I'd love to hear their calls and I think they are absolutly gorgeous birds. [​IMG] If we move to a decient place in 09' I'll get the permit and guess who will be my supplier *YOU* LOL!

[​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah I'm not sure how many I will ultimately get, it depends on how good they sell around here. I'm assuming very! [​IMG] Two of my very close neighbors alone said they would come here to get them for their bird dogs, rather than go 30-40 miles away to the nearest person who has the setup they like! I plan on building a 100' flight pen, so I could have a ton! [​IMG] I wonder if they would brood their own young in a pen where they were more or less left alone? They would have plenty of hiding places, since it will be at the end of the pasture/hay field. I was thinking of getting some kind of bushes to plant in there as well, to give them more hiding places.

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:i bet they could as long as you make it as natural as possible for them! [​IMG] Your plans sound great and look you already got neighbors wanting your future stock! Go you!

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hi..i am just curious here...are bob whites meat quail?..what are the meat quail breeds?..thanks, Wendy

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:you can eat them ofcourse, but they're mostly used for hunting training, and just hunting in general (and im sure eaten afterwards if the hunters aren't wasteful). [​IMG]

The meat quail is the coturnix quail im pretty sure that's the IT bird. The best of the coturnix quail for meat is the A & M for its white meat (only white meat coturnix quail).

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi monarc...i was just curious..because i may be getting some bob whites(maybe).... hey, i got some more button babies today..little bumble bees![​IMG]..

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Back when I was younger my dad used to go hunting for just about anything, and when he did get quail (obviously bobwhites since they were wild) he would eat them. They seem to be about the same size as a pharoah, at least the one I saw was. But I think it was a baby, so they may get bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by