Hey my hen has a small growth on her foot...bumble? Help please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blondiebee181, Jan 3, 2013.

1. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I was checking my girls out today, as I routinely do....it's been pretty cold here in boise at night, about a 10F average. I wanted to make sure they didn't have any frostbite spots (which I also have a question about) I found this on my Daisy's (a Leghorn) foot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's what appears to be a hard, dark lump on the bottom of her foot. I have seen some pics of bumblefoot...is it? Any advice on how I should treat it?

Here is a couple pics I took of Petrie and Ginger (a Barred Rock and an RIR) of their combs/wattles and I just wanted to make sure if it's mild frostbite, there's something I can do to help.

[​IMG]
    They are a little hard to see, but on her wattles (which are also pretty dry) there are little brownish cracks along the edges...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    See the dark reddish-brown spot on the tip of her middle comb?
    [​IMG]
    sorry it's super hard to see but she has the little brown dry spots too
    They just look chapped and cracked. Maybe they are getting their wattles wet and if the water doesn't dry, maybe it's freezing. I hear vaseline is a good moisturizer and keeps the wattles from getting wet. Any advice is much appreciated in both scenarios, this is our first winter. Thanks all!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Its different looking but I think that's a bumble foot scab.
    And those spots on the comb look like scratches or were he was pecked.
    Just put Vaseline on any frostbite.

3. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Mkay, I will probs get Vaseline at the store today, do I need to cut this scab out and wrap her foot?

4. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I will try to get antibiotic ointment and a little vet wrap just in case, anything else I should get for her foot?

5. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Epsome salt for saoking her feet in.

6. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Okay, they are all a-bed right now (I vaselined all the combs and wattles) I open in the morning, but when I get off work at 3 I will try to soak it...does anyone know if I should cut the "scab" out first and then wrap it? Or just try cleaning it and wrapping it and waiting?

7. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Soak it, clean it, and then you can pick at it and try to pull it off.

8. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Anyone else have an idea, I'm pretty concerned about it...I don't want it to get worse

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just read up a bit on bumblefoot--it's a staph infection of the foot usually caused by stepping or jumping down on hard surfaces or rocks. Usually they need to be lanced and the cheesy core inside needs to be removed. Some recommend soaking them in epsom salts if they are not too advanced.

10. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I have looked at some threads...what's wierd is that her foot isn't swollen like the others...but does that mean it just isn't as advanced?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by