Hey need advice:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BurnsFarm, Feb 10, 2013.

1. BurnsFarm

BurnsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Michigan
    Im from Michigan and would really like to raise chicks and maybe keep and sell some. I dont have a big budget. Can I make my own incubator that works as good as the $60 $70 ones? What breed is a good first breed and has a good sucessful hatch rate? I like the snowy Americaunas. Thanks for the help:):):) Oh and I dont live on a farm so has anybody else raised chicks in more of a suburb area and not gotten into trouble with neighbors?

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Here's an incubator that I know works very well and I'm sure it won't cost you very much to build:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubator-incubator

As for breeds, it's hard to tell. I know certain breeds, like the Scots Dumpy is hard to hatch, but most of them is pretty straight forward. I would go with the common breeds like RIR, Leghorns etc for starters.

Here's an interesting incubation article that you can look at also:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Lots of people here do not live on farms and own chickens and other poultry. I think as long as your flock is not a nuisance and your local laws allow chickens in your area you should be o.k. Do ask around first, before you get started.

Good luck!

2 people like this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BurnsFarm, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Looks like Sumi has you all set so I'll just say best wishes and have fun!

4. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Check out those links from Sumi. [​IMG]

6. Willum

Willum New Egg

Feb 5, 2013
    Hello, I am also new to this site. I believe you can go online to your city's information and find the ordinances that concern chickens as well as all other livestock. Beyond that, if you want to keep a low profile and peace, do not keep roosters, (more than likely your neighbors will not even know you have chickens if you keep a few quiet hens;) I know roosters are part of the fun, but they are noisy. Certain hens are quieter than others; there are folks on this site that can tell you which they are, but to generalize, I think the heavier hens are usually more docile and quiet, and the lighter hens are usually more noisy and flighty. If you go to Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart, he lists the breed characteristics, as well as other information:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Good luck with your chicken project. [​IMG]

Willum

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you've joined us.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by