Hey Northern New Englanders need help with aviary netting size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DaKid, Nov 3, 2009.

1. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    I need help with aviary netting size

Has anyone use 2" heavy knotted aviary netting over there runs or aviary’s where they get cold weather and snow . My question is how does the 2” netting hold up during the winter with snow, does the 2” netting let the snow pass thru it or does it build up on top like it would with the smaller type 1” wire / netting or chicken wire.

Thanks Alan

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Anyone got an answer?

3. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to live in Scituate, Ma and most snow by the ocean was wet and 2" netting was fine as long as it was not a nor-easter where the snow clumps very rapidly.

4. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Big Chicken Little
    Today 8:13 pm I used to live in Scituate, Ma and most snow by the ocean was wet and 2" netting was fine as long as it was not a nor-easter where the snow clumps very rapidly.

Harrietsmum
    Today 8:01 pm Anyone got an answer?

Thanks

The reason why I was thing going with netting instade of wire on top was due to if the ducks where to fly up hitting the wire they might hurt them self where as netting would give a little , and the reason why I wanted to go with a 2" hole netting figuring the snow would build up a lot less then that if I was to go with a 1" hole netting.

I need to know what size before I orderd it over the internet, this is the last step I need to do then my duck aviary will be completed,

Thanks
    Alan​

5. vtara16

vtara16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    I used poultry netting on top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by