HEY! Now that Spring's Here....Suggestion/Warning re: purchasing birds

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by speckledhen, Mar 29, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Deep breath....I'm sure I may be scolded by some members for this post, but here goes:

Spring is here and it seems a good time to post this. Lately, we have received complaints about people being sold sick birds as well as not paying for goods that were received. We field these all the time. Our rules for the BST forum are posted in stickies at the top of the section, which bear repeating, say:

We emphasize honesty and integrity here at BYC. We feel it is important that you practice this especially in the Buy Sell Trade area. We remove spammers quickly and request that you not offer for sale any sick or diseased birds, defective merchandise or fail to follow through on a transaction. When we get complaints on a seller or buyer, we may investigate and may ask you not to trade until such matters are resolved

My suggestion to you is that when you contemplate buying any started birds, you at least ask the seller if he/she has had any illness in their flock and what kind. Certainly, the seller could be untruthful. It is up to you to, if you are local, observe their flock conditions, if you are allowed to and to check over the birds as closely as you can. If you have any sense that you are being played, back off the transaction. Educate yourself about the signs of illness and at least look for those. Naturally, if the bird isnt showing symptoms at the time, you have no idea if it is a carrier of something nasty that wil decimate your flock. If you do take birds home, quarantine them for at least a month to six weeks. Sometimes, ill birds are sold simply through ignorance of the facts of disease by the seller and/or buyer.

Sellers, I think the BST rules put forth are pretty plain. Do not sell sick birds or birds from flocks that have had respiratory illnesses. Be honest about it and let the buyer make the decision about how much of a gamble he/she is willing to take. Think how you would feel if your own flock was wiped out by one sick bird you brought into it. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is a good BST rule. If all would operate that way, the staff's work load would be slightly dimished. We are not lie detectors nor do we do background checks on BYC members. Thanks for your cooperation!​

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Thank you Cyn! I wish every seller (both on BYC and otherwise)would follow these guidelines in regards to illness in their flocks. Unfortunately they don't. Buyers need to beware of who they are buying from...even if it's another BYC member.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I fully support what Speckled Hen says.

Simply put
    She is Right.

And no scolding is going to be tolerated.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Lots of great advice, Cyn!

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Thank you Cynthia! I have seen to many "help my birds are sick" and then two days later "eggs/birds for sale" from the same person. A reminder is always good!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree totally. Amen!!!

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I agree 100%.

as well as not paying for goods that were received.

Sellers, remember to make sure you have received payment before shipping out the goods.​

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I agree with everything already said. [​IMG]

Quote:BYC is normally a wonderful community, and there are lots of great sellers -- and buyers -- here, but it's really super important to watch out for yourself when conducting transactions. Like Cyn said, we don't do background checks and aren't required to be B-S-T detectives when something goes wrong. [​IMG]

Buyer, and seller, beware.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

So I've got a question for all the mods.....Cyn and I have already had this little discussion a while back, so I know where she stands on this [​IMG] What do the rest of the mods feel is the appropriate thing for the rest of us to do when we see someone selling birds or eggs when in the last month or so like Sara referred to they've been on here crying for help because of their sick and dying birds?

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, Katy and I have spoken at length about this issue.Since no one has answered, I'll go ahead and post my feelings on this. If you see someone selling birds and you know to some degree of certainty that they've had illness in the flock (usually from them posting about it on here themselves), you are certainly within your right to PM any potential buyer and tell them what you believe to be true, possibly with the link to the seller's "help, my chickens are sick!" post. The problem here is that many transactions are not done out in the open on BST, but through PMs and we never know who buys the birds or the hatching eggs. That is where personal responsibility comes into play. Ask questions, research the seller through his/her posts, etc. In the end, it's always buyer beware.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by