Hey Peeps!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MegThompson, Mar 23, 2017.

1. MegThompson

MegThompson Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

So I am totally new at this whole chicken thing but I am really committed to learning how to raise the 6 chicks I have. I don't want to cut corners in bringing them up so I ask a lot of questions and will be asking a lot more lol. Right now I have 6 6 week old peepers and one of them has splayed leg. I discovered it when he as 4 weeks old and I have been trying to correct it but it just won't... he always finds ways to peck out of the rubber bands and bandaids and vet tape :/ I have a feeling I will have to put it down and it literally makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it. But I really don't want it to suffer either :/ If you guys really think it's too late please be honest so I can just get it over with and not defer my hope.

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC from another Thompson...
    as for the splayed leg, I don't have experience w that....you might want to repost your question in 'diseases and emergencies forum' if you don't find help in this one.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can put "Splayed legs," in the search box above. It should come up with several articles. The problem is, if foot/leg problems are tended to very young, the chick usually straightens out in a couple of days. The older they are, success drops.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC! I've successfully treated an older chick with splayed leg, so it can be done! DD gave good advice. Feel free to ask questions!

It's great to have you with us. :)

5. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MegThompson, and [​IMG]! It's great to have you in our flock! [​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Meg [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree to searching BYC for some solutions or you could try posting on the ER Forum where you should also get some good advice: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by